PDA

View Full Version : 737 NG dual FMC failure

framer
13th Sep 2013, 08:53
Hi,
In the B737MRG there is comment on technique to manage a dual FMC failure airborne. It is mentioned that map mode can still be used and suggests selecting STA and WPT in order to navigate to positions using heading select.
I understand that the MCP modes ( hdg, alt hold, v/s ) are still available as is the auto pilot but I am unsure where the information for stations and waypoints is coming from. I would have thought that this information was in the FMC navigation database and with the dual FMC failure would become unavailable.
Can anyone explain the source of the info assuming dual FMC failure?

flyboyike
13th Sep 2013, 10:07
FMC failure covers a wide range of malfunctions. It could be, for example, just the failure of the MCDU, but the "brain" can still be working and providing all the information on the MFD.

de facto
13th Sep 2013, 10:52
In the B737MRG there is comment on technique to manage a dual FMC failure airborne. It is mentioned that map mode can still be used and suggests selecting STA and WPT in order to navigate to positions using heading select.

If both fmc fail,the use of LNAV is not possible so you need to navigate using conventional navigation such as VOR radials/ndbs..if your departure or arrival allows,in flight if both fmcs do remain failed,open the enroute charts and start using those vor...you can always ask for vectors if 1 you trust the ATC and 2 you have no other choice.

Now if you fly a departure with no raw data info(vor,ndb) then if IMC make sure you climb above the MSA and go from there.

As for the technical part of your question,when both fmcs failed in the sim,the MAP flag was on and all the navigation screen was dark.
There is no info in QRh on using heading to navigate on a 'failed' map and i would caution any not to do that even if your book suggests some backround data may still be displayed.

If you manage a dual fmc using hdg sel on a failed fmc map,i doubt you'll pass your check...just saying:E ,last resort in a total loss of situational awareness i would say....

BOAC
13th Sep 2013, 11:33
As flyboy says - you use what you have available with caution and backed up with 'old fashioned' stuff.

framer
13th Sep 2013, 11:57
Thanks folks,
I'm fairly comfortable with the need to navigate using conventional methods etc.
It just surprised me that WPT and STA might be available with a dual FMC failure and I'm interested if anyone knows the source of that information. I'm not planning for a sim check, just learning generally. It could be useful if you were oceanic to be able to bring up STA and WPT so I want to get an understanding of where the data comes from.
Thanks again.