PDA

View Full Version : Advice on lapsed PPL please

vne10
11th Sep 2013, 09:39
I had a scary thought the other day that I should check my JAR PPL license expiry date and rightly so as it had expired last year. With two new kids and mortgages (bla bla bla...) I haven't flown for quite a while (about 15 months). So, my SEP rating has expired and so has my JAR PPL.

Could someone point me to the right sections in CAP804 that tell me what I need to do please? I've had a look but can't find the sections that relate to expired PPLs, nevermind JAR PPLs.

Also is the conversion to EASA PPL a simple paper exercise that is done during the licence renewal process?

Thanks in advance :)

EddieHeli
11th Sep 2013, 17:03
If expired by less than two years, check medical is valid, do any necessary refresher training, revalidation test flight with an examiner, send money and forms to CAA, don't forget to get the examiner to mark your English proficiency level (On test pass form), receive EASA licence and new blue plastic holder after several weeks, job done.

Whopity
11th Sep 2013, 17:30
Under the new rules you need a Course Completion Certificate before you can take a Proficiency Check with an Examiner so you must go to an ATO or Registered Facility. You apply for the EASA licence on form SRG1104 and will need to send in signed photocopies of your medical and the renewed SEP Class Rating. As stated you need an English Language Assessment if you haven't already done this.

vne10
12th Sep 2013, 10:21
Cheers for the replies, my medical's fine for another few years so I'll get in touch with the FTO where I did my training to get everything back up to scratch. Blue plastic folder, worth the money just to replace the old brown one ;)

flyingwelshman
21st Sep 2013, 15:39
Great and clear advice above.
In addition, I had a similar (but different detail) last month - CFI suggested an email to the FCL at the CAA.
Got a very detailed and clear written email in 5 days - which I then popped back to them in the post with my paperwork.
OK - they weren't razor sharp, but made it clear.
FW