PDA

View Full Version : Calling All BA Long Haul Pilots

Roger Dodge
5th May 2002, 19:34
Just a quick question....

I recently flew to and from LA with BA and on both trips asked whether I might be able to visit the cockpit to discuss things Air Traffic. On the outbound leg, I was told that I couldn't because of the safety implications following 9/11. Fair enough!!

On the return leg, I again asked and was told by the CSD that it would be unlikely due safety. He asked El Capitan and came back to me stating that there was no way and ..."people from my 'outfit' have to gain prior written permission" to gain access.

What is the score? Is it now totally forbidden for us to visit or do we need written permission? It would have been bery useful for me to visit especially as I am training and we were flying through the sector I am training on. I could have increased my knowledge of what u want which can only be beneficial to you in the long run. :) :D

WeeWillyWinky
5th May 2002, 21:57
Roger Dodge

Regrettably visits are now forbidden. Bona fide BA staff passengers are permitted to travel on a FD jumpseat but must remain on the FD for the entire flight. Any others must be duly authorised. You most certainly would be allowed to travel on the FD by prior agreement and with the authorisation of flight operations management but a visit during the flight, ad hoc or otherwise, is now no longer permitted.

No doubt you are aware that the flight deck door is now bolted from the inside and opened infrequently and only then having followed published procedures.

It is as much a disappointment to us as it must be to you but Bin Laden and his lackeys have changed many things forever.

WOK
6th May 2002, 11:01
Sadly, all true.

Permission for such a visit needs to come from very high up in flt ops heirarchy, so if you are going to try this approach allow a few weeks.

Also, as stated, any visitors are required to spend the WHOLE sector in the FD which may seem an unattractive proposition LAX-LHR!

Bona fide ATC fam flts are, I believe, still happening.

As much of a drag for us as you. (The former not the Fam. flts!)

Roger Dodge
6th May 2002, 15:20
Thanks for the replies, I understand the rarionale, regretable though it is, and at least I now know what to do in future- though as you quite rightly point out LAX-LHR would be a non-starter!!!:eek: :eek: :)

Scott Voigt
7th May 2002, 03:56
Shoot, I consider most of the newer cockpits much nicer than riding back in coach...

regards

WetFeet
9th May 2002, 18:30
The restrictions on flight deck visits are understandable, but if it can be arranged, go for it.

As for EGLL-KLAX all the way on the jump seat - a fam flight is supposed to let us experience things from the pilots viewpoint. They have to stay there for the whole flight so doing the same would benefit us all when expecting long haul crews to follow our direction at the end of a 12hr flight.

You may be knackered at the end of the flight, but they do it all the time!

If you want a holiday, buy a ticket or go UKATTS. Then you can get a bevvy as well.

PPRuNe Radar
9th May 2002, 22:03
Probably came across badly but "people from my 'outfit'" sounds very patronising to me

Maybe we need to remind the CSD that people from 'his outfit' need to actually get slot improvements through proper channels and not make requests on the Ground or Clearance Delivery RT ?? ;) I'm sure a lot of us would rather bust a gut for people who make an effort to be a part of the overall system.

Only joking guys ... we're all in this together.

Hand Solo
9th May 2002, 23:06
What makes you think the CSD would care?:confused:

Roger Dodge
10th May 2002, 19:34
I had bought a ticket (not using UKATTS tho') and was just trying to get up front on the 'off-chance'. The 'your outfit' line did rather take me by surprise, but hey, he was probably tired!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: