PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Air Shuttle Boeing 787 problems

Ye Olde Pilot
8th Sep 2013, 20:29
More Dreamliner electrical problems?

Low-cost carrier Norwegian Air Shuttle on Sunday announced a new technical problem with one of its Boeing 787 "Dreamliners", as the plane was grounded due to a flaw in its electrical system.

"We've had a problem since yesterday (Saturday) with a Dreamliner, linked to its electrical system," company spokesman Lasse Sandaker-Nielsen told AFP.

"The aircraft is not getting enough electricity."

The plane was scheduled to leave Oslo for Bangkok on Saturday, but after waiting for more than 24 hours, the passengers were transferred to Stockholm, where they boarded a chartered plane.

It is the second incident that Norwegian has had this week with its Dreamliner fleet -- which currently consists of two planes.

Norwegian's other Dreamliner was stuck on the tarmac of Stockholm's Arlanda airport from Monday after a light suggested a problem with the brake system.

The plane was finally deemed fit to fly on Friday after technicians concluded the light had lit up by mistake.

"That kind of technical issue tends to happen with new planes," said Sandaker-Nielsen.

"If you think about Airbus A380, it also had all kinds of teething problems," he said, referring to the large European-built passenger airliner.

Norwegian has ordered altogether eight Boeing 787 Dreamliners, of which two have been delivered so far, with a delay.

The Dreamliner has encountered several serious difficulties since entering operation, especially with its batteries, causing the entire fleet to be grounded for about four months earlier this year.

These glitches do not appear to have seriously affected the fortunes of the American aircraft maker, which said Friday it had received 89 new orders for the plane since the start of the year.

fenland787
8th Sep 2013, 21:18
"The aircraft is not getting enough electricity." Well, with a comprehensive fault description like that, I'll have 'er right in a trice...

Derfred
9th Sep 2013, 01:57
The plane was finally deemed fit to fly on Friday after technicians concluded the light had lit up by mistake

Sounds like too much electricity!

flyboyike
9th Sep 2013, 13:45
Sounds a lot like that classic writeup.

"Something loose in the cockpit".

Corrective action:

"Something tightened in the cockpit".

BOAC
9th Sep 2013, 13:49
So that is a fault with the 'I don't have enough electricity' light?

atakacs
9th Sep 2013, 16:59
I think they should be thankful that they had enough power to lit THAT particular light ...

Pugilistic Animus
9th Sep 2013, 18:48
Too much electrickery in that plane for me...especiallt the electric packs
They'll eventually sort it all out...but this plane is epoch making

EEngr
10th Sep 2013, 15:34
I suspect that its something like an undervoltage condition that didn't survive translation and non technical reporters.

captplaystation
28th Sep 2013, 09:19
"Dream:rolleyes:Liner for whom ? not Norwegian so far :=

The 2nd delivered "plastic fantastic" EI-LNB has been sent back Stateside to be completed to the standard NAS expects of a newly delivered airframe after going Tech seemingly every other day since delivery.. It is being replaced for 2 weeks by a Hifly Airbus 340 . . . . Boeing have really dropped the ball with this one. I guess they are picking up the tab for the leases etc, but difficult to put a price on public perception of the reliability of your operation + there are quite a few planeloads of severely delayed/p1ssed off pax who will think twice about booking a flight on a NAS "DreamLiner" again in a hurry.

A319
28th Sep 2013, 11:30
Dropped the ball? Boeing yes, but I manly see the problem with NLH here. Starting up long haul operations as a launch costumer with only 2 a/c AND no interline agreements is not only naive -it's asking for trouble IMHO.

I guess they are picking up the tab for the leases etc, but difficult to put a price on public perception of the reliability of your operation + there are quite a few planeloads of severely delayed/p1ssed off pax who will think twice about booking a flight on a NAS "DreamLiner" again in a hurry.

I would think twice about booking any NAS flight actually...

I hope for both parties they get their problems sorted out soon...

gas path
28th Sep 2013, 12:19
Some of those so called 'defects' were self inflicted.:suspect:

flyboyike
28th Sep 2013, 13:01
Incompetence and poor decision-making are nowadays as ubiquitous as fake boobs. Wow, just spelling the word ubiquitous gave me a headache.

misd-agin
28th Sep 2013, 14:46
What were the defects and how were they self-induced?

gas path
28th Sep 2013, 15:24
To with a certain 'reselect' that kept an a/c on the ground for some time.:pFollow the FIM and everything is easily resolved!!

Jimmy 16
28th Sep 2013, 15:58
As you seem to be a 787 expert (?), could you tell us what you are talking about?

JW411
28th Sep 2013, 16:18
I suspect that English is not his first language.

gas path
28th Sep 2013, 17:01
Blimey! Is me grammar that bad?:p

DIBO
28th Sep 2013, 17:28
One more problem it seems, but nothing a spare part can't fix. But not having the spare part available on site, now seems to be stranding the plane.
Norwegian 787 Stuck In Bangkok After Pump Fails (http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1380289289.html)

tonytales
28th Sep 2013, 20:16
There is also that old saying, "Never buy the A model of anything".

IB4138
29th Sep 2013, 19:53
Another unhappy 787 customer:
UPDATE 2-Norwegian Air takes Dreamliner out of service after breakdowns | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/28/boeing-norwegian-dreamliner-idUSL5N0HXXXX20130928)

Capt. Inop
30th Sep 2013, 15:36
There is also that old saying, "Never buy the A model of anything".

Probably true.
I did fly for Scandinavian Airline System when we got our first B737 ng's with DAC. (Go google it)

Joined Braaathens shortly afterwords an the CFM 56 on the NG was running just fine, no vibrations, no egt limitations no nothing.

As i understand things SAS was the launch customer for DAC on the B737.

Edit to add: Maybe Bjørn Kjos is caught up in that A - trap :}

No Fly Zone
5th Oct 2013, 12:47
The cargo hold carries a very large supply of standard "D" size batteries. Of the carbon-zinc type ha ha!

No Fly Zone
5th Oct 2013, 12:51
"of which two have been delivered so far, with a delay." I wonder if they are beading them up and not telling Boeing. Other 787 operators have had a few faults, but not nearly as many as this carrier. Is there something unique about these two airframes?

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Oct 2013, 14:55
Other than they are both leased and not owned by Norwegian, the only other factor is Boeing Gold Care.
They are the only aircraft that Boeing is responsible for in the regards to maintenance.
So Norwegian have more to complain to Boeing about with serviceability, than other airlines.