PDA

View Full Version : Complicated license questions..

AbzAv8r
7th Sep 2013, 23:03
Hi All,

I have a PPL (FAA) with around 500 hrs, but haven't flown in 15 years until an hour with an instructor last week.

Greatly enjoyed it, and wish to get back in the swing of things.

Questions as follows....

1. Can I take a ground school/fly with instructor until up to speed with UK flying and then fly on the FAA license in the UK with just a BFR and current FAA medical? And does the answer differ between N reg and G reg aircraft?

2. If I wish to convert to/add a UK PPL license, what level of training is required?

3. If I wish to progress to full IFR/Commercial/Multi privileges on a UK license what do I need to do and how expensive will it get, as I understand the US IFR rating doesn't have a direct equivalent in the UK?

4. Just to complicate matters, I'll be moving to Australia in the next 3-4 years, so how does all of the above fit in with flying there?

Many thanks

Av8r

Whopity
8th Sep 2013, 07:02
Q1 Yes N and G but not form much longer, after April 14 you will need an EASA licence.

Q2 With 500 hours you need to take two exams and UK Flight test plus Flight Radiotelephony Licence, conversion details in CAP804 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP804Jan2013.pdf)Part Q

Q3 How long is a piece of string?

Q4 Basically, do it all over again, so if you want a professional licence you might be better off looking at the Australian requirements first.