PDA

View Full Version : HIL reopening date

C-130 SCORPION
5th Sep 2013, 11:04
Hi everybody,
I need a professional advice regarding this issue please.
It seems that our maintenance provider has an internal rule in which whenever they close an item in the HIL if the airplane does 4 legs without the failure they can open it again with a new date.
a possible case colud be that if there was an item classified as C and it was close to the 10 days then if they close it and there is no report in the next 4 flights they can have an extra 10 days without asking for an extension???????
I have checked some documents like the JAR-MMEL/MEL .081 but it is pretty generic without details on this.
Many thanks in advance and have a great day.

Piper19
8th Sep 2013, 23:56
Yes, this is a correct procedure. I think even 1 leg without the problem does suffice. I've seen enough operators with a HIL list full of the same problem opened and closed again. This has always puzzled me why it is not better regulated. Just hope your company has a good engineering department that picks this up, and takes action.
You can also push the mechanic to put in the book something like "due to ungoing problem, item transferred to HIL with original due date". :ok:

underfire
9th Sep 2013, 01:37
perhaps you should explain your definition of HIL.

For us, it is the Horizontal Integrity Limit in the GPS nav system.

FE Hoppy
9th Sep 2013, 10:06
Hold Item List.

Sounds like sharp practice to me. How can an item be closed without remedial action?

Piper19
9th Sep 2013, 20:31
How can an item be closed without remedial action?
It will have seen action, but not the correct one thus the original failure reoccurs... mostly it will be intermittent failures, the ones that do not occur every flight.

C-130 SCORPION
9th Sep 2013, 21:06
Correct
They follow the trouble shooting as per manual but it reoccurs.
How can you track that from our Pilot perspective?
If i change a piece of equipment and it doesnt work we should come back to the first date right? After how many legs? Common sense?
Many thanks guys