PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B How to turn it off without ....

9 points
2nd Sep 2013, 07:53
Anybody know how I can turn off ADS-B (A330) [Assuming ATC request me to turn it off] without turning off the transponder?

My FCOM says refer to AIP but I can't find anything..

Quote from FCOM:
When the Air Traffic Controller requests to stop transmitting ADS-B OUT surveillance data or altitude (e.g. when she/he requests “STOP ADS-B TRANSMISSION” or “STOP ADS-B ALTITUDE TRANSMISSION”), do not switch off the ATC transponder or the altitude reporting, in order to maintain TCAS operations or Air Traffic Control radar surveillance and refer to Aeronautical
Information Publication (AIP) for alternate procedure.

nitpicker330
2nd Sep 2013, 09:04
You can't turn off ADS B without turning the txp to sby.
It's automatically part of the mode s txp and operates continually.

Are you sure they aren't referring to turn off the ADS C? It's part of the ATSU datalink and can be disarmed on the connection status page.

DaveReidUK
2nd Sep 2013, 09:30
[Assuming ATC request me to turn it off]The only reference I can find to this rather unlikely scenario is:

"Requests to stop ADS-B transmissions shall only be made in the event of known or suspected airborne or ground system faults. In aircraft without pilot access to the ADS-B avionics, the pilot shall deactivate the ADS-B transponder in accordance with procedures approved by the aircraft operator. If this is not possible, advise ATC immediately."

http://legacy.icao.int/icao/en/ro/apac/adsb_2003/wp04.pdf

Probably not worth losing any sleep over.

9 points
5th Sep 2013, 00:25
Definitely ADS B.

Yep it seems like a curly one. As you say probably not worth worrying about.

At least I can always simply advise ATC...

Thanks

ahramin
11th Sep 2013, 00:37
On the bus there is no access to the ADS-B. If the transponder is on, it's on.

nitpicker330
11th Sep 2013, 01:18
Wow thanks for re stating what I've already said :ugh:

beech35
11th Sep 2013, 13:39
I am not sure if this is helpful or not. The following is quoted from AC-20-165A which specifies a means of obtaining FAA approval for installation of ADS-B Out equipment:

(2) Turning off ADS-B. 14 CFR 91.225 requires that all aircraft equipped with ADS-B OUT operate with the equipment turned on at all times. There are no requirements to disable ADS-B broadcasts at the request of ATC. When ADS-B functionality resides in the Mode S transponder, it is acceptable to disable the ADS-B transmissions by disabling the transponder (i.e. Standby or Off). If this architecture is used, specify the impact in the flight manual or pilot’s guide, (e.g., loss of ADS-B, transponder and TCAS functionality). Locate the ADS-B on/off controls to prevent inadvertent actuation.

In General Aviation, Garmin is a major provider of Mode S transponders with ES capability. They have a configuration setting that permits the pilot to turn off the ADS-B Out function. It is noted that it may only be used at ATC request. The AC 20-165A says this is not required, so I would not recommend setting the configuration to enable this feature for a General Aviation aircraft. I presume that the airline will or should provide information on how to deal with this issue. They still have more than 6 years to do this before the regulation kicks in.

LeadSled
12th Sep 2013, 00:23
Folks,
Nostalgia for the "good old days", when the transponder control panel had a mode select rotary switch with --- OFF,SBY,A,B,C,S. and maybe a separate ON/OFF switch for the altitude reporting function --- although I never did understand why you needed said ALT switch, given the ability to switch to A from C, and given that not all manufacturers panels had the ALT on/off.
Tootle pip!!

nitpicker330
12th Sep 2013, 02:13
Beech---- the question related to the use of ADS B in the A330 and not in GA.
My Airline has been using ADS B ( and C ) for quite a while now. There won't be any further info coming out from them in regards to using it.
Also it is mandatory in Australia very soon ( in the next 12 months or so I think ) for all Airline Aircraft and not 6 years.

The only way to turn it off is switch the txpdr to sby. There are no controls or indicators relating to ADS B.

Capt Fathom
12th Sep 2013, 05:44
Sooner than you think nitpicker....

From 12 December 2013, all aircraft operating in Australian
airspace at or above FL 290 must carry approved, serviceable Automatic
Dependent Surveillance–Broadcast (ADS-B) avionics equipment