PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instructor - can you do it with a class 2, or restricted class 1?

FireDragon
4th May 2002, 14:55
When I started flying, it was always my intention to progress to instructor level.

However, because of quite a rare condition, I can't hold a full class 1 medical, (initially had quite a job getting the class 2, but went OK in the end).

I've heard from various sources that you CAN actually instruct on a class 2 medical, but unrenumerated. Also, I've heard that you may also be issued with a RESTRICTED class 1, which would enable you to instruct, but obviously not to fly as a commercial pilot.

I'd be very grateful if anybody could explain to me what sort of position the above two choices, (if valid), leaves me in: I've tried the search facility for this, but cannot get any explanations.

Thanks a lot

FD

BEagle
4th May 2002, 15:22
Basically the medical requirements are associated with the type of licence - JAR Class 1 for a professional flying licence; JAR Class 2 for a private flying licence. The FI or FI(R) Rating may be added to a private flying licence, but the holder may not receive any remuneration or reward for any flying instruction given (except for flying instruction in Micrlights, Powered Parachutes or SLMGs).

So yes, it would seem that you can be a PPL FI with a JAR Class 2 medical but you must not receive any remuneration for such activity.

For confirmation, in view of your medical circumstances, I would urge you to contact CAA Medical Department to avoid disappointment.

Good luck with your aspirations!

FireDragon
4th May 2002, 17:29
BEagle - thanks for replying.

Could you possibly answer another question? How much does it cost to do the ATPL ground work by distance learning, and how long would it take if a few hours a day could be dedicated to it?

I've had a look at various schools, but appear to be getting conflicting information from them.

Sorry if I'm vague over this, but I need to be sure of some things before attempting to go down the instructor road, and have no one else whom I could ask.

FD

BEagle
4th May 2002, 19:44
My apologies - I have no knowledge of the 'distance learning' process towards ATPL(A). For a FI(R) rating, you need 'Commercial level knowledge'; I understand that this means a pass at JAR/FCL CPL theoretical examination level - but you'd be better off speaking to someone like Oxford or Bristol to get the correct information.

D 129
14th May 2002, 22:30
Hi,

Just a few figures on the Ground School Costs...

Oxford's distance learning is about £ 2 to £ 2.5 K - Includes good manuals and a crammer before the exams.

Oxford's full time ground school is about £ 5.5 K and spreads over something like 30 weeks of teaching at 30 hours per week. Includes good manuals, mainly good instruction, supported by computer aided instruction etc etc.

Oxford like to say that other places may be cheaper, but those places have far worse pass rates. (True as far as I know).

If you call and ask for their marketing person (Susan Price ?) you'll be able to get the exact figures.

D 129