PDA

View Full Version : Australia pIFR rating converting to UK IMC Rating??

daviojk
4th Aug 2013, 03:50
Am hoping if someone can help me with this question, as am struggling to find the correct answer...

I live in Australia & have a PPL (300 hrs) with a pIFR rating. That rating enables me to fly IFR, and I am qualified to do SIDs, STARs & GPS approaches. I will be moving back to the UK in early 2014, and will need to convert my license to a EAA PPL :ooh:

Is the UK IMC rating a similar animal to the Australian 'pIFR' rating, and does it permit the pilot the same privileges...? I am struggling to pick apart the two...

Appreciate that the iMC rating is disappearing soon due to European red tape, so if I can not get one in time, would the pIFR help towards getting a full IR in the UK?

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks

Whopity
4th Aug 2013, 11:42
would the pIFR help towards getting a full IR in the UK?The proposed EASA CBIR will give credit for existing IF so if that is approved, there should be some credit, but it's a big IF at the moment. Do you currently hold a UK PPL of any sort? If so you would only need an instructor and an examiner to get an IMC which would then be issued as a Restricted IR on an EASA PPL. You will not be able to do it after April next year.

BEagle
4th Aug 2013, 12:56
You will not be able to do it after April next year.

That is NOT certain! Once we've seen the back of Goudou (and the celebrations over), senior CAA people will be meeting with his vastly more enlightened successor to find an acceptable solution.

bookworm
5th Aug 2013, 21:29
That is NOT certain! Once we've seen the back of Goudou (and the celebrations over), senior CAA people will be meeting with his vastly more enlightened successor to find an acceptable solution.

I think the meeting was with the Commission rather than Patrick II (since it's now out of EASA's hands), and they met last week. Fingers crossed for the IMC rating!

BEagle
5th Aug 2013, 21:49
I'm told the meeting is with Ky and it will be sometime in Sep 2013.

bookworm
6th Aug 2013, 08:46
I guess we'll find out.