PDA

View Full Version : ppl renewal

Frightened nose gear
1st Aug 2013, 20:27
I want to take a week or more off work in Aug/Sept to renew my ppl. Ive 300 hours but have not flown p1 since 2010.Id like a recommended outfit with fair landing fees and very reasonable costs.Im happy to stay in a local b and b so location is no problem.Anyone with any ideas.Thanks in advance.

nick14
2nd Aug 2013, 04:13
So you need to renew your SEP class rating then, I'm assuming your licence is still in date?

Scott C
2nd Aug 2013, 08:58
I recommend Tatenhill Airfield in the Midlands. Excellent instructors and cheap prices. I did all of my PPL, Night Qualification and IMC Rating training there and was very happy with the instruction I received.

www.tatenhill.com (http://www.tatenhill.com)

Morris542
2nd Aug 2013, 11:26
If you're towards the east of Sussex then look at Headcorn, Lydd or perhaps Shoreham to name 3. Landing fees at Headcorn are reasonable - free if you're a member of the club.

Dave Gittins
2nd Aug 2013, 12:32
Where (and what) are you going to fly when you've renewed ?

Isn't that going to be a big part of the decision ?

I guess after 3 years you want to get a bit of confidence back as well, so going where you'll fly from later, flying the plane you'll be going to use and getting familiar with the circuit and local areas will save you doing it twice.

StuartUK
2nd Aug 2013, 15:53
I can recommend Omega/Sky Leisure at Shoreham. They have a handful of C152's and a couple of PA's.

Shoreham's fees are a little on the pricey side though.

Frightened nose gear
2nd Aug 2013, 18:25
Ive spent many an hour out of Shoreham and i will do in the future but in terms of getting away from it all and training costs there are many clubs that work out £100 per hour cheaper.This all adds up if you want 10-15 hours.Ive got in touch with Mickey Kay at York flying school so things are looking up.

Flyingmac
2nd Aug 2013, 19:24
Do pay us a visit at Bagby. No landing fee for our Breighton buddies.:)

thing
3rd Aug 2013, 03:48
Question for the Bagby/Breighton mob. If I joined as a social member would I be entitled to the reciprocals?

I fly from a mil airfield and as much as we would like to we can't offer reciprocals; however I tend to fly to all of the airfields that have reciprocals with each other, it would be worth joining Breighton for £25 a year for the reciprocals.

pembroke
4th Aug 2013, 18:39
I would be very suprised if you needed 10-15hrs. With 300hrs and with a short break, you would hopefully find it fairly straightforward. If you stayed with Shoreham or dare I say, Lydd ,it may help with your subsequent flying as it's in your local area. I would also add that the FI/FE should have a good understanding of the EASA transition, as this will possibly be a licence change if you are outside the three year validity period. Please pm if I can help.

foxmoth
4th Aug 2013, 20:12
I would agree, about 5 hours should do it, if you really want to do more then you should be looking to add stuff on like IMC/Aeros.