PDA

View Full Version : Boeing at last have bitten the manual flight bullet

sheppey
27th Jul 2013, 11:20
The latest edition of the B737-Classic FCTM has at long last taken the first step to encourage pilots to manually fly when conditions permit.

AFDS Guidelines

1.34 - Clarified that although normal procedures are written with the

assumption that all automated features are in use, manual flight is encouraged

when conditions permit

AFDS Guidelines

AFDS Guidelines Appendix A.2.3

Crewmembers must coordinate their actions so that the airplane is operated safely and efficiently. The Normal Procedures Introduction in Volume 1 of the FCOM states that normal procedures are written for the trained flight crew and assume full use of all automated features. This statement is not intended to prevent pilots from flying the airplane manually. Manual flight is encouraged to maintain pilot proficiency, but only when conditions and workload for both the pilot flying and pilot monitoring are such that safe operations are maintained. Many operators have developed an automation use policy that gives pilots the opportunity to maintain proficiency in
manual flight.

It will be most interesting to see if State Regulators and operators now encourage more use of manual flight when conditions permit. More likely however, the more hide-bound will still bury their collective heads in the sand ostrich-like and demand full use of automatics in all phases of flight and even actively discourage their crews from manual flying except for lift off and very short final. In other words Ops normal.:{

But we should not under-estimate the decision by Boeing to now admit that automation dependency has had a serious effect on manual flying skills, and that manual practice on line is the only effective way to combat automation addiction.

RAT 5
27th Jul 2013, 12:25
I heard of an airline that encouraged manual flight, even up to FL240. Quite what that improved at constant thrust lever setting and following the FD. I guess they might also have also encouraged manual flight down from FL240, bit no. Visual approaches were discouraged and if performed had to be via the OM, using VNAV/LNAV for energy advice and preferably with auto-throttle engaged to avoid speed control, issues. I'm not sure if they intended the visual approach to be flown with full auto-pilot HDG SEL & V/S, but if an LNAV/VNAV route via OM was inserted you may as well let old George do the whole thing. Hardly improving manual piloting skills. I'll be curious what such companies response to this issue is. Very muted I suspect as they do not want any go-rounds and thus cost money.