PDA

View Full Version : ATC Visits

Coke611
2nd May 2002, 15:41
Hi guys.
I am 15, and always wanted to be an ATCO.

Is there any way of visiting a center? Pref an aerodrome or the LACC in the london area.

Does anyone know how this can be arranged?

Cheers guys,

Coke611

CUNIM
3rd May 2002, 16:33
Well, I am sorry that nobody has bothered to reply. After the 11th September it has been difficult to arrange visits due to the increased security. If I may make a suggestion, this is the perfect time to prepare for that first interview for a job as sure as eggs is eggs, somebody will say to you prove that you are keen on being a controller. Well it ain't no good saying that you saw a film once and did a visit once to a tower, you need better ammunition as you will be one of many chasing that job, you need to stand out. If you aren't yet in the air cadets or air training corps, try it out, it doesn't cost anything during the initial probationary period, I got a private pilot's licence out of it before I had a driving licence. Believe me you need something special to be successful in the initial paper sift of application forms in order to progress to the test and interview stage. Bear in mind that the interview panel are trying to make your interview successful. They're not out to cheat or trick you.

For visits, maybe a nice letter to a local airfield would be a good start. Try out the small ones as they probably have the time and will be more open to visits.

Good luck:) :)

BEXIL160
3rd May 2002, 17:45
CUNIM is quite right, we ALL should have give you a few pointers a bit sooner. Apologies, young man.

Anyway, the advice above is very sound.

It's a bit of a bone of contention but there ARE other avenues into ATC (of a slightly different sort). The RAF (and to a lesser extent my own beloved RN) might be worth considering. A visit to your local careers office should help.

Hope this helps you. Oh, and if you have any other questions, just bung'em up here and I / we will TRY to respond a bit faster next time. Promise

Rgds BEX :)

CUNIM
3rd May 2002, 22:17
Thanks Bex

Apologies for forgetting the Senior service:rolleyes: Coke611, keep an eye open on these fora, I think that you will pick up a lot of information "on the side" as it were. I think that we were trying to say - build up a history of interest to stand you in good stead for any interview - no matter what job.

Cheers:)

5milesbaby
4th May 2002, 21:23
Bex (or anyone else) - you'll know this, what was the name and job title of the old bloke who used to do the tours of LATCC (oh the old days) and does he still exist now LACC has left??? Must be worth a try?

Coke611
5th May 2002, 13:19
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll certainly take on board the things that you've all said.
I'll try the local airfields (my nearest is Stapleford - but I'm not sure if that has proper ATC)

Cheers,
Coke611

BEXIL160
5th May 2002, 14:15
5mb ... the gentleman you are thinking of is Terry.... can't remember his second name, sorry.

As for a visitors office errrr... once again not sure.

NERC tours seem to be back on. I've seen GROUP4 security staff leading curious little flocks of people around the building, spouting forth about how many offices there are, where the sports hall is, what a nice coffee lounge we have etc etc. Their vast encylopaedic knowledge of ATC was then tested by the visitors durring 5 mins in the viewing gallery :rolleyes:

Brilliant innit?

BEX

Spitoon
5th May 2002, 14:41
Coke611,

You're right about Stapleford not being ATC it's an air/ground service which is rather different. Unlike ATC, air/ground provides pilots with information only and not instructions. It might be useful to understand the differences for an interview but unless you know what ATC is it would probably be confusing to visit an air/ground service at this stage (and it won't be representative of the working conditions at an ATC unit - :) was that tactful enough).

You might be better off trying Luton or Stansted. I'm sure both would be pleased to help someone keen on a career in ATC. The drawback is that you'll only see aerodrome control at those airports and that's only a small part of the job - but it's a good start.

And good luck.

Dimensional
5th May 2002, 16:41

ZIP250
6th May 2002, 08:36
The West Drayton visits chap was Terry Stock, ex A Watch supervisor??

Z

AREA52
6th May 2002, 15:51
Hi,

If you are interested in a visit round LACC (and not by Group4 ) then the person you need to contact is Terry Ward (ex ATSA) the offical PR tour guide.

Area

oceanicwanabe
6th May 2002, 16:22
I have a contact email address and number for Terry Ward at Swanwick, if anyone wants it, email me.

Fast Jet Wannabe
8th May 2002, 22:20
I recently had a very interesting visit to STN tower for a couple of hours. The ATCO's on duty were very entertaining and helpful, and interested in my situation.

I simply phoned STN, asked to be put through to the tower, and asked the lady who answered if visits were possible.

Good luck!

FJW.

Squawk7000
5th Jul 2002, 22:55
How does a PPL get a visit to the tower ?

Are we welcome ?

canberra
6th Jul 2002, 11:05
speaking as an ex raf aatc we always welcomed visitors. the only one we didnt like were spotty atc cadets. one of them really showed his lack of knowledge and made himself look very stupid by asking me why the clock was an hour slow!

Mister Slot
6th Jul 2002, 12:23
Coke - I've always found the good people at LTN to be extremely accommodating to anyone showing a genuine interest.

As said above though, only aerodrome control on sight now, Approach/Radar now at LATCC.

Nevertheless, it's still well worth a visit. On a clear day the view from the tower is quite spectacular - all the way to Canary Wharf!!

Julian Andrews
6th Jul 2002, 14:39
Coke 611; you're very welcome to visit us at Bristol Int'l ATC anytime, if you're in the West Country (on holiday, maybe?). Same goes for anyone else bona fide in the ATC/flying game who reads this. Quick note in the post (BS48 3DY) or call me on 01275 473632. Answerphone on the line and I'll call you back if I'm not in the office.

Spitoon
6th Jul 2002, 18:58
canberra, I've always wondered about the clock thing too .....

But I tell you, an hour's nothing. Last time I was up a tower in the States they were seven hours slow! ;)