PDA

View Full Version : Considering Malta Air Rally

ATR43
19th Jul 2013, 13:34
I am toying with the idea of doing the malta Air rally routing via Corsica/Sardinia/Sicily and would be grateful for nay and all advice at this stage with regard to planning. What is suggested as the best maps to use? I am thinking in terms of 1/2 mill covering France etc but after that would be grateful for any thoughts also where such charts can be obtained.

Many thanks

A and C
19th Jul 2013, 17:11
I did the Malta rally a long time back and my advice would be to use the Jeppesen VFR charts, it keeps things standard across Europe and they are very user friendly, the only down side is the topographic information is a bit sparce in places but this is mitigated by the other useful stuff on the chart.

If I had the range I would not stop in southern Italy...... I can only describe the airports as being run by a corrupt bunch of crooks, from the top to the bottom they are all asking for payment of all sorts of things in cash.

Airports in the northern part of Italy don't seem to have this attitude but even so I would try to go from the very southern tip of Corsica to Malta direct and avoid the Italian's.

If you plan to stop in Italy try to get a local on your side to investigate the system before you show up, then you can spot the rip off ploys of the airport staff.

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/pdfs/vfr-gps-overview-2011.pdf

Dispite the problems in Italy I had a great time and would recommend the trip to Malta.

what next
19th Jul 2013, 19:07
If I had the range I would not stop in southern Italy...... I can only describe the airports as being run by a corrupt bunch of crooks, from the top to the bottom they are all asking for payment of all sorts of things in cash.

Strange. Maybe we have been at different airports in southern Italy. I never have to pay anything in cash, they accept fuel carnets and credit cards just like everybody else. Landing and handling fees are usually lower compared to northern Italy (with the same aircraft for example Brindisi: 198 Euro, Venezia Tessera 459 Euro). AVGAS can be difficult to get, do not rely on the published information but call them before the flight. And everything may take a little bit longer, don't expect a quick turnaround.

Chilli Monster
19th Jul 2013, 22:39
(with the same aircraft for example Brindisi: 198 Euro, Venezia Tessera 459 Euro). AVGAS can be difficult to get, do not rely on the published information but call them before the flight. And everything may take a little bit longer, don't expect a quick turnaround

With 198 Euros for what I assume is a light GA aircraft - plenty of reasons above to avoid Southern Italy. You're certainly not selling it to me.

what next
20th Jul 2013, 07:11
With 198 Euros for what I assume is a light GA aircraft...

Rather a medium sized GA aircraft (8 tons). 198 Euros is about the cheapest we pay anywhere in Europe on an international airport.