PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Location Transmitter

cwatters
17th Jul 2013, 07:05
If a fire is detected on board an aircraft does that automatically set off the ELT?

I asked this elsewhere but it looks like the post was deleted. I don't know why it was deleted so if this is a question that I'm not allowed to ask for security reasons can someone let me know? Thanks.

BOAC
17th Jul 2013, 08:26
I don't think so but do not know for sure. 'G' and water immersion are the only two triggers I know of. Tried 'Tech Forum'? Mod there unlikely to trash your query.

aeromech3
17th Jul 2013, 09:47
Never heard of it being a design feature!
Some installations, I seem to remember, had a remote switch for the cabin crew and a remote warning buzzer to indicate it has been triggered.

john_tullamarine
17th Jul 2013, 13:22
A bit out of touch with detail design standards these days so it would take me more research than I have time for. Probably going to get a quicker answer in Tech Log I think.

Same mod both forums .. very unusual to see threads deleted in either.

BOAC
17th Jul 2013, 13:50
Same mod both forums .. very unusual to see threads deleted in either. - to re-inforce John's comment, cwatters, if you have a genuine question try Tech first. Rather bizarrely, even Jet Blast is developing a reputation as a good site for aviation topics (much to the horror of the resident stone-dwellers:)) with the added advantage that humour is allowed there, unlike at top table.

Dimitris
17th Jul 2013, 15:05
ELT datasheet linked to the ethiopian fire has operating temperature range of -20 to +55, how long will it operate for if the fire is close to it?

Gulfstreamaviator
17th Jul 2013, 17:10
The normal locations for instalation is in a strong location in the aft of the aircraft, and operated by either a G switch (automatic), or a manual overide. Mine has no water activation, and certainly no fire activation.
Most have a voice facility on the unit not via the aircraft systems, as well as a "pinger", so can be used to say hi to any passing sailors, who might not hear a whistle.

They are also located in the emergency packs, of the life rafts, so no G facility there.

As to operational limits for temperature, I do not know.

In a movie or two on general release recently, if the pax / crew had only attacked a life raft, they could have spoken to the world and not been almost shot down...

Hope this helps, a little bit.

dubbleyew eight
17th Jul 2013, 17:38
the answer to the original poster's question is no. they are g force activated.
I am told a recent australian investigation has found that only a third of the fixed installations actually activated automatically.

a more reliable approach is to activate the personal transponder before the crash and if the forced landing is pulled off successfully (ie no crash) then shut it off and apologise to the safety monitors.

the world does not work quite according to hoyle.

cwatters
17th Jul 2013, 21:36
Thanks for the replies.