PDA

View Full Version : License revalidation/EASA/medical questions?

AdamFrisch
15th Jul 2013, 20:17
I have a JAR SEP license valid until 2020. I need to revalidate by the 30th Sept 2013 for my SEP, which I can do here in the US at a few schools. However, what happens on the 24th of July is that my medical expires. Since I don't fly in Europe much anymore, I'm not particularly keen on keeping my Euro medical going as it's a hassle and has to be renewed every 2nd year now that I'm over 40. However, I do want to keep my EASA license current. So my question is this:

1. Can I renew my SEP without a current medical?

2. Can I update to an EASA license and have CAA send it to me here in the US, or does it have to go to a UK address?

3. Any chance I can get the MEP onto my EASA license with the new rules by experience/checkride? I really don't want to have to do an initial 10 hour at an ATO in some godforsaken Duchess all over again if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

500 above
15th Jul 2013, 20:44

Not as far as I'm aware. (Due EASA licence issue date)

2. Can I update to an EASA license and have CAA send it to me here in the US, or does it have to go to a UK address?

They will send it to the USA.

3. Any chance I can get the MEP onto my EASA license with the new rules by experience/checkride? I really don't want to have to do an initial 10 hour at an ATO in some godforsaken Duchess all over again if I can avoid it.

Aerostar snob! ;) I'm sure Whopity, BEagle or the like will give you a definitive answer. For what it's worth, I did an EASA MEP/IR renewal in February, and have only just received my licence in the post last week. You will also need to do an English proficiency test. Several schools I spoke to wanted me to do the full MEP course as I hadn't flown MEP for years. I found one that interpreted the rules to my favour, and did an assessment flight then the test flight MEP/IR. By the way, I hold an EASA class 1 medical, which is on record at Gatwick. The CAA still wanted a copy (certified by the HoT) with my other documents, so I'd guess you will need an EASA medical for an EASA licence.

Maybe speak to one of the EASA accredited schools in the US?

AdamFrisch
15th Jul 2013, 21:45
Not as far as I'm aware.

Can I renew with my FAA medical? What I'm trying to get at is - is it a question of:

1. You can not fly the aircraft for the hour it takes to do the SEP renewal unless you have a valid medical. Then that wouldn't come into play in the US as I would be doing it on a N-reg where I do have a valid medical.

2. Or is it a rule that says you can not hold a rating without a valid medical?

Aerostar snob!

After tasting lobster, how could one ever go for crab sticks again?:ok::}

Level Attitude
16th Jul 2013, 02:17
JAR SEP license valid until 2020
I assume you mean you have a JAA Licence which contains an SEP Rating.
How can your Licence expire in 2010? JAA Licences were only valid for
five years (and it is more than six years to 2010)

Assume you mean revalidate (by experience)
Part-FCL does not stipulate that the 1 hour with an Instructor has
to be an EASA Instructor. You would be PUT so no medical issues
arise. PIC hours flown on your FAA Licence are fine.

You would need an EASA Examiner to sign your paperwork.

With a couple of exceptions the medical requirements, in Part-FCL,
refer to the Licence held, not Ratings included - though if no
medical then Licence invalid so Ratings also invalid.

It is not clear whether a Rating revalidation/renewal requires a current medical.
Examiner could sign you up, advising you not to excercise
the privileges; or could say that since Licence is invalid there is nothing
to attach revalidated/renewed Ratings to, and so they cannot.

The CAA would not (cannot) issue you with an EASA Licence, nor an EASA MEP,
if you do not have a valid EASA medical.
(I doubt they would accept an FAA medical in lieue)

Aren't there EASA AMEs in the US? Can you not find a doctor who
is authorised by both FAA and EASA and get both medicals done
for the price of one?

Hodja
16th Jul 2013, 03:17
Adam, I'd do the FAA commercial if I were you.

This way you'd 1) learn something new, & 2) get a FAA standalone license.

And you could do the whole thing in your own aircraft.

Silvaire1
16th Jul 2013, 03:23
Aren't there EASA AMEs in the US?

I'd imagine that the best bet for that would be a UK listed AME and the closest of those to Adam's base is apparently in Scottsdale, Arizona - 380 miles but a hop skip and a jump for an Aerostar.

AME Search Results | Medical | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=65&appid=21&mode=list&county=Non-UK)

99% of US pilots would have no idea what EASA is, and have no need to know, so its surely not a widely sought after thing.

AdamFrisch
16th Jul 2013, 06:15
I assume you mean you have a JAA Licence which contains an SEP Rating. How can your Licence expire in 2010? JAA Licences were only valid for
five years (and it is more than six years to 2010)

Yes, you are correct. I was looking at the Radio Telephone License. My JAA license expires 27/05/2015.

Reason I don't want to go to a combined FAA/EASA AME is that my Class 3 in FAA land is valid for a good bit longer than a 2 year EASA class 2. Plus I hate, and I mean hate, going to the doctor. I have white coat syndrome, so my BP is always showing too high whenever a doctor is near because they freak me out.

So, you're saying if I squeeze in a revalidation by experience before my medical expires in a week, I'm good to go? Probably won't have time, but it's a thought. There is a place in San Diego that does them. If I let rating lapse, how long can it stay lapsed before things get nasty (as in having to do exams again and deal with bureaucrats)?

Hodja - I have a standalone FAA, thankfully. Didn't fall into that trap which I'm very grateful for today.

Whopity
16th Jul 2013, 07:38
1. Can I renew my SEP without a current medical? I see no legal reason why not. Despite advice to the contrary, CAA staff examiners have been observed to revalidate ratings whilst their medicals have been withdrawn!

2. Can I update to an EASA license and have CAA send it to me here in the US, or does it have to go to a UK address? Back to the medical. You cannot obtain an EASA licence without a valid EASA medical. They will send it anywhere. Any expired ratings will not be included in the EASA licence. There is an EASA AME in Florida.

3. Any chance I can get the MEP onto my EASA license with the new rules by experience/checkride? I really don't want to have to do an initial 10 hour at an ATO in some godforsaken Duchess all over again if I can avoid it. 10 hours is a FAA requirement. You will still need to go to a ATO and do the MEP Class rating skill test and theory exam to put MEP onto an EASA licence

500 above
16th Jul 2013, 07:41
From SRG1104

Note: Your medical Certificate must be valid on the licence issue date. If your Medical Certificate is due to expire within 14 days after the date of application for licence issue, please complete the following
My medical examination will take place at: ........................................................... on: ................................................
A licence will not be issued to any person unless their medical records supporting their Part-MED medical certificate are held by an Aeromedical Centre located in the United Kingdom. European Commission Regulation (EU) No. 1178/2011 as amended, requires that an individual has all of their licences administered by the National Aviation Authority that holds their medical records (Part-MED.A.030 and Part-FCL.015).

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1104FFenabled.pdf

So, I doubt the CAA will acknowledge receipt let alone issue an EASA licence within the validity of your present medical Adam.

AdamFrisch
16th Jul 2013, 08:22
OK. I will let it lapse then. I have very little interest in flying 800nm to an EASA AME, spend hundreds of dollars for something I don't use right now.

How long can rating lapse before it gets nasty - as in have to redo the exams?

Whopity
16th Jul 2013, 10:06
It can lapse as long as you like, there is no requirement to retake any exams, other than a Licensing Proficiency check which requires attendance at an ATO, even if the licence has lapsed by one day

HAKAM
20th Aug 2013, 13:12
I have been a pilot for 2 years with an icao license ,recently i tried to convert my ppl to easa ppl ,i undertook a medical exam and i was considered unfit because of some hearing problem in one of my ears ,the question is if i am already a pilot why did they consider it an initial medical exam 2. Can i use a hearing aid for the high frequency loss? 3. Can i retake a medical exam in another jaa member state

AdamFrisch
21st Sep 2013, 18:39
Sorry to dredge old thread up again, but I'll be in Dublin next week for work. And I have some days off over weekend. In the odd case I wanted to redo my medical and redo my SEP there, where would be a good spot? A good AME? And is the renewal seamless in Ireland vis-a-vi the CAA in the UK, or will they play silly buggers (their default)?

Lost pilot
2nd Nov 2013, 00:23
The list of EASA Aeromedical examiners in the US is very short. That said, I have used Dr. Bryman in Scottsdale (also has an office in Ahwatukee), before and after gaining my JAA/EASA ATPL, and would definitely recommend him. He is competent, and quite knowledgeable with the regs. for any country he is certified to examine for. (Also does JCAB, CASA, and TC, I think) But, if you do an EASA and an FAA medical concurrently, he does charge for both...

I guess I'm one of the 1% that knows what EASA is. Not sure if that makes my life better, or just more complicated!

tume
6th Feb 2015, 00:11
I have CPL with expired Class 1 medical (Class 2 privileges until 7/2018). I looked into revalidating my SEP that is due to expire end of February. Tried the UK CAA online application process for Class Rating Revalidation, and on page 5 (MEDICAL DETAILS) it annoys me with (because I selected I have a Professional Licence (CPL)):
"You must confirm that you hold a current and valid Class 1 Medical Certificate."
"You have entered an expiry date in the past. Please re-enter, or if your certificate has expired, you should re-apply after renewing your Medical Certificate. Please cancel this.."

Seriously? I have to have Class 1 valid to revalidate SEP by experience? Whats the point of the Class 2 privileges then? Please tell me this is not true. All I have seen is you have to have a valid medical to submit an application.
And I did my last Class 1 with Dr. Bryman as well..

Level Attitude
6th Feb 2015, 01:08
Seriously? I have to have Class 1 valid to revalidate SEP by experience? Whats the point of the Class 2 privileges then? Please tell me this is not true. All I have seen is you have to have a valid medical to submit an application.
And I did my last Class 1 with Dr. Bryman as well.. Holding a valid Medical is not a requirement to Renew or Revalidate a Rating - nor, as far as I can see, is one even required for the initial issue of a Rating.

However, you need to understand the mechanisms (Administrative Actions) involved:

A UK CAA Examiner could 'Sign You Off' for your SEP Rating straight away, but you were applying for the Administrative Action to be taken by the CAA themselves (presumably because you are based in Finland?).

The CAA do not "Sign Off" Ratings and send you back the same piece of paper - they will reissue you with a newly printed Licence containing all your current Ratings.

As they are, effectively, issuing a Licence you must hold the minimum Medical Class required for that Licence's privileges - in this case, as you want to maintain a CPL, this means you need to hold a valid Class 1.

Your Options are:
- Find a UK Examiner to revalidate your SEP on your current CPL
- Obtain a Class 1 Medical and get the CAA to revalidate your SEP on to a newly printed CPL
- Maintain your Class 2 Medical and get the CAA to revalidate your SEP on to a newly printed PPL.

tume
6th Feb 2015, 06:27
Thanks for the quick clarification Level Attitude. I instruct in the US so I was hoping to Revalidate through experience... I guess I have to try and find an EASA examiner here who could sign it.

3 Point
6th Feb 2015, 10:59
Or, if you know a suitable examiner in the UK you could post your paperwork to him for signature and return. I understand that you may not wish to put your licence and log book in the post but it's an option!

Happy landings

3 Point

3 Point
6th Feb 2015, 11:01
Further thought. Any UK EASA examiner will do. That would include a UK TRE who flies for an airline and is passing through your location on a layover. Do you have any mates in UK airlines??

3 Point

Level Attitude
6th Feb 2015, 11:31
I guess I have to try and find an EASA examiner here who could sign it.Licensing Administrative Action remains under the auspices of national authorities.

You need a UK Examiner

Non-UK EASA Examiners are not (currently) authorised to sign SEP 'Revalidations by Experience' for UK Licence Holders.

For them to conduct LPCs they require specific written authoristaion each time from the CAA.
To sign off a Rating based on that LPC requires a separate written authorisation.

There is no mechanism for them to request authorisation to sign for 'Revalidation by Experience'.

If a non-UK Examiner tries to be helpful and does sign your Ratings page it means Diddly Squat ! You might as well have got it signed by a child you bumped in to on the street.

Zonkor
8th Feb 2015, 23:37
If a non-UK Examiner tries to be helpful and does sign your Ratings page it means Diddly Squat ! You might as well have got it signed by a child you bumped in to on the street.

Not that this will add much to the competent answer by Level Attitude, but I can confirm this from recent personal experience, giving me the doubtful benefit of a last-minute touristic trip to Gatwick.

I wish this was more widely known, especially since each Member State may introduce their own national rules governing administrative processes. So if one Competent Authority allows any EASA examiner to sign off a revalidation by experience, that doesn't mean anything in another Member State. Brave new world. :oh: