PDA

View Full Version : Good news for 61.75 holders

dont overfil
1st Jul 2013, 09:43
Good news from IAOPA

[QUOTE][/QUOIAOPA wins FAA support on Part 61 licences
http://www.iaopa.eu/webattachmentServlet/faa_logo_small.jpg?mode=getfile&watt=watt_1002571_1372579853146.jpg
Following a concerted campaign by IAOPA on both sides of the Atlantic, the US Federal Aviation Administration has agreed to allow holders of FAA Part 61.75 licences to have their licences renewed by national aviation authorities in Europe rather than having to travel to the US to get the job done.
Part 61.75 licences are issued by the FAA to holders of comparable licences from other recognised aviation authorities, such as those in Europe, to allow holders to fly N-registered aircraft. No flight test is required as long as certain criteria are met, and the issuing process often takes only a few minutes.
Thousands of European pilots hold Part 61.75 licences, which carry the number of the pilot’s licence issued by the home authority of the pilot. But under the change to EASA FCL, all licence numbers will be altered to include the letters ‘FCL’, rendering the Part 61.75 licences invalid. Under normal circumstances, holders would have to travel to a Flight Standards District Office in the United States to have their licence reissued. However, the FAA has agreed this is too much to ask, and has informed EASA that it will allow national authorities in Europe to reissue existing Part 61.75 licences, providing that the holders can prove their identity.
National authorities need only provide the FAA with the pilot’s name, licence numbers (old and new), the FAA certificate number, the pilot’s mailing address, and a statement to confirm that the Part-FCL pilot licence is valid and is not suspended, revoked, or expired. The statement of positive identification will include an official photograph of the applicant and the applicant’s signature and residential address, if different from the mailing address.
Craig Spence, Secretary General of IAOPA, said: “Recognising the impact that this issue was having for general aviation in Europe, IAOPA Europe began working with AOPA US to take the actions that were necessary on both sides of the Atlantic. Between the actions of the two organisations a logical, easy, no-cost policy was developed that will allow pilots to keep their FAA validations without the burden and costs of reapplying. This again demonstrates the power of a strong international organisation, working together.”TE]

S-Works
1st Jul 2013, 10:31
That's going to take away the gravy train from a certain local DPE....

Good news though for 61.75 holders.

md 600 driver
1st Jul 2013, 10:53
a logical, easy, no-cost policy

Are you saying the uk CAA will do it for free!!!!!!

It's the 1st July not 1st April

mad_jock
1st Jul 2013, 11:09
Never mind the fee it will be the not being able to fly for a year waiting for them to do anything which will mean that most will still get it done on holiday or the local bloke.

B2N2
1st Jul 2013, 13:51
Do you have a link to the original article?
This will need to be verifiable.

dont overfil
1st Jul 2013, 15:24
The article came in the IAOPA-e news July 2013.

I don't know how to give you a link to it but the above article was a cut and pasted from the e mail. You could always sign up. It's free.

I suppose this has been dropped in the CAAs lap. They will have to figure out how to administer it. I like IAOPs approach presuming it can be done free of charge:D

D.O.

Talkdownman
1st Jul 2013, 15:42
It's here, half-way down:

IAOPA-Europe enews July 2013 (http://www.iaopa.eu/contentServlet/iaopa-europe-enews-july-2013)

Curtis E Carr
1st Jul 2013, 20:14
You may wish to read this (http://easa.europa.eu/docs/news/2013/Baldwin%2006.17.13.pdf) and this (http://easa.europa.eu/docs/news/2013/Administrative%20Process%20for%20Reissuance%20of%20FAA%20Pil ot%20Certificates%2031%20May%20Update.doc).

Silvaire1
2nd Jul 2013, 01:34
You really have to smile... Foreign pilots get FAA pilot certificates so they can fly FAA registered aircraft overseas and avoid over regulation. Foreign governments enact yet another re-do on their bureaucracy, which screws up aforementioned pilots who were trying to avoid them. In response, FAA says foreign pilots can get statements from their over regulating local governments to help foreign pilots continue to avoid them in the future...

You have to wonder whether the ladies in Okie Dokey City see the irony. I hope they do, but I suspect perhaps they don't. God bless them :)

Zulu Alpha
2nd Jul 2013, 17:57
Its going to be interesting to see how much EU authorities charge for this.

About £100 seems to be the starting price for anything in the CAA.

cessnapete
2nd Jul 2013, 18:39
Good news, although painless and free if you happen to visit the US. I attended the Denver Office while on holiday a couple of years ago. Took 30 mins to issue the Temp. Certificate while I consumed the coffee and donuts offered while I waited!

B2N2
2nd Jul 2013, 19:56
It's not always free.
Some FSDO's (FAA regional offices) have permanently pushed this towards DPE's (pilot examiners) because of a lack of manpower.
For DPE's this counts as an 'event', same as a checkride so they will expect to be paid:}

Bob Upanddown
3rd Jul 2013, 09:34
So, no changes allowed other than for the number.

I wonder how they will view the IMC?? As the EASA licence will call it an IR, will all the IMC holders suddenly have a new rating.......

I don't have an issue with our local DPE doing it.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Jul 2013, 10:09
The 61.75 doesn't list ratings, it just says "licence no.X, with all ratings and restrictions thereon" (or words roughly to that effect - I don't have mine to hand.

G

flydive1
3rd Jul 2013, 10:48
The 61.75 doesn't list ratings,

Yes, it does, mine lists 3 ratings plus the IR

I wonder how they will view the IMC?? As the EASA licence will call it an IR, will all the IMC holders suddenly have a new rating........

To have the IR on the 61.75 you have to take a written exam.

Bob Upanddown
3rd Jul 2013, 11:01
To have the IR on the 61.75 you have to take a written exam.

The point I was trying to make is that the guidance material linked from Curtis' post says that only licence numbers can be changed by this process, ratings cannot be added.
Whilst it doesn't list the ratings you have on your 61.75 license, the FAA have the copy of the document you provided for that license which does list the ratings you have. So if your IMC has changed to an IR, will this throw a spanner in the works??
Just being pessimistic.

flydive1
3rd Jul 2013, 11:20
The point I was trying to make is that the guidance material linked from Curtis' post says that only licence numbers can be changed by this process, ratings cannot be added.
Whilst it doesn't list the ratings you have on your 61.75 license, the FAA have the copy of the document you provided for that license which does list the ratings you have. So if your IMC has changed to an IR, will this throw a spanner in the works??
Just being pessimistic.

No, I do not think it will change anything.
Even before if you had a full IR rating on your licence, the 61.75 was only VFR, unless you took the exam. If you took the written exam, the the IR rating was added to your 61.75.
And again, the 61.75 might list ratings, IR and/or aircraft.

Whopity
3rd Jul 2013, 11:25
So if your IMC has changed to an IR, will this throw a spanner in the works??No, because the IR(Restricted) is not an ICAO IR!

sherburn2LA
14th Jul 2013, 00:52
The statement of positive identification will include an official photograph of the applicant

fireguard chocolate