PDA

View Full Version : Terrifying night flight....

AdamFrisch
29th Jun 2013, 21:39
..in a snow storm with no gyros and no electricity in this true story from the early days of instrument flying. Nail biting read.

Northeast Airlines. Instrument flight after gyro failure, Boston to LaGuardia. From "Adventures of a Yellowbird" by pilot/author Robert Mudge (http://www.daileyint.com/flying/yellow.htm)

deefer dog
10th Jul 2013, 00:33
Airmanship! Sadly, since the colour magenta was invented, an adjective rarely used.

A and C
10th Jul 2013, 09:39
So true Deefer..............so true !

Dave Gittins
10th Jul 2013, 12:28
If reading the ASIANA thread in R & N is anything to go by, hardly any of the "sky gods" are now capable of flying an approach in VMC without flight directors and autothrottle.

How ever did mankind get this far ?

What also surprises me are the number of posters over there being shot down in flames for suggesting that speed is controlled with the stick and the aiming point with power.

Presumably that doesn't work on swept wing jets but nobody is saying that ... just firing from the hip.

thing
10th Jul 2013, 21:00
suggesting that speed is controlled with the stick and the aiming point with power.

Something I fully agree with. I was surprised to find that not everyone else does. Mind you, if whatever technique you use gets you on the ground safely then it's fair game.

Halfbaked_Boy
11th Jul 2013, 00:40
When you really think about it, it doesn't matter which way you do it, because one will necessitate the other and vice versa, secondary effects and all that! Technically using power for descent rate and pitch for speed is the long way round ;)

Anyhow, good read, I enjoyed that :cool:

FlyingKiwi_73
12th Jul 2013, 01:41
Nose for Speed, Throttle for aiming point (Height), could not agree more... i fly with a bunch of fledgling airline wannabies in the circuit...their finals are easily 2-3 NM in a 152 that's just silly...i have to go half way to the next airport just to slot in (yeah it pisses me off)

I wonder what will happen to those chaps trained in such a way when the engine quits? dragging a 152 in with 2000 rpm is a dangerous habit to get into IMHO. If i feel the need to touch the throttle on approach i feel I've not pulled off the best landing (ok excessive wind and sink aside).

It starts at the schools and gets worse....