PDA

View Full Version : Instructor willing to tutor using RANT for IMC

CharlieDeltaUK
28th Jun 2013, 12:02
I've got RANT, which I suspect is very good, but I think I'd get a lot more benefit if there is an instructor out there who fancies doing some ground school with me using RANT. I was thinking of someone who would spend half a day or a day going through the theory (I have done the reading and am getting through the practical flying) and basically help me bring it altogether and help me make best use of RANT for future work on my own. I'm sure I could manage on my own, but more slowly. I'm thinking that the right instructor would help me make better use of time.

My goal isn't really limited to just getting through the exam - I know about the Confuser and Airquiz etc. What I really want is to get proficient and set myself up with a good basis for actually flying in IMC and then working towards the new CBIR, all in the context of non-commercial SEP. I see RANT as a way of optimising ground-based practice before getting in the air to do it for real.

My local FI is great - just hasn't got much time and not really someone who uses things like RANT.

Travel anywhere in England

Mariner9
28th Jun 2013, 12:16
There are tutorials within RANT which are pretty good, so working through those would be a good starting point.

Having said that, if you can find an Instructor who is willing to help it would always be beneficial, particularly if he/she will be the one training you on the a/c. Maybe difficult though, the instructors who trained me for my IR were great but nether were keen on RANT, though personally I thought it was excellent, and still use it for practise approaches from time to time.

FlyingOfficerKite
28th Jun 2013, 12:17
Where are you based?

FOK

CharlieDeltaUK
28th Jun 2013, 12:22
PM sent - only because I don't want to encourage any speculation about local tuition by naming my locale, because it's really very good - it's just not what I'm after

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jun 2013, 14:08
Try Billins at Cranfield. I'm not sure if it's RANT or something very similar, but they use an uncertified but good simulator in a backroom extensively for IMCR initial and refresher training. Andy Chester, who is their usual IMC / IR instructor I have a lot of time for also.

I did some training there and whilst small and perhaps a little eccentric, I found it worked very well.

G

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Jun 2013, 15:27
My instructor thought it was useful that I "flew" each lesson in advance in RANT using that day's wind, but I didn't need to ask for any help with it. OK so it took some time to get the hang of it, but rather cheaper than the aircraft!

A and C
28th Jun 2013, 22:06
I've never found ranting at my students an effective way of communication.

abgd
29th Jun 2013, 09:31
I gather there's a new version of RantXL just come out. Does anyone have any views on whether it is worth upgrading?

Golf--Lima--Papa
29th Jun 2013, 11:05
Apologies for the thread hijack, however, anyone know of something similar to RANT for the iPad?

Throughout my IR RANT was priceless, particularly when practising NDB approaches. My PC has now gone to cyber heaven and I'd like to keep on top on things by practising on my ipad.