PDA

View Full Version : Skyguide

Spuds McKenzie
1st May 2002, 01:45
What's the current situation with Skyguide (formerly known as Swisscontrol)?
Are they still severely short staffed and are they still running expat courses?

Don't Look Now
3rd May 2002, 18:40
As an expat skyguide controller at LSGG, I can tell you that they have stopped their expat program, as they are shortly up to numbers and intend to fill the remaining places with ab-initios from their college in Zurich. Skyguide is also in the s*** financially after the demise of Swissair and the alleged downturn in the avaition business. Can't tell that there is a downturn from where I am sitting though!
We have all had negociated payrises declined and the yearly incremental step up the salary scale refused. There are a lot of pissed off people, and some are looking elsewhere themselves.
If they do start to recruit in the near future (BIG if) you can check out any possible openings on www.skyguide.ch
Hope this is of use to you.

Spuds McKenzie
5th May 2002, 22:09
Hmmmm,shortly up to numbers , would be the first time since 1984, wouldn't it?

Looks like a miracle is bound to happen...

Don't Look Now
7th May 2002, 12:14
My dear Spuds,

I welcome any miracles:D What happened in '84, as I was still a wee nap of a lad back then?
DLN

Zob La Mouche
17th May 2003, 03:56
hello,

Today, I just received at home the Skyguide brochure to become an Air Traffic Controler through the "academy" in Zurich. I'm very impressed by the high quality of that brochure. And everything sounds "exciting". But I still have some questions :ok: !

- Foreign applicants need a C work permit. I called the Switzerland embassy of my area, and they told me that I won't be able to be granted a C work permit unless I've been in Switzerland as a resident for 5 years in the past. Nevertheless, the lady told me also that in the case of a "new comer" in the country, the only work permit I may have is a B work permit and then after these 5 years, I may transfer it into a C work permit. I have to say that I was a little bit confused this afternoon due to this new visa stuff ;) So here is my question: do you think Skyguide would "sponsor" a foreign, motivated etc etc ;), to enter the Training Center? I tried to reach also somebody in Zurich to have their opinion. Unfortunately, it was too late in the afternoon, so I have to call them back next Monday. I've seen also on the local newspaper that everyweek there is a "big" ad "Become an ATC! Join us! Call them on ...... etc", and as my friends in Geneva told me, ATC is a "needed" work there. I don't know if that's true, but in this case if they need applicants from everywhere, I may have an opportunity to "deal" with them to begin the work visa process. Don't know.

- I'm unfamiliar with the Swiss school system but there is a "funny" requirement you have to attach with your application form. You have to give them all your school transcripts from the "sixth school year". I tried to find out what the hell is that :D and I'd say that you have to attach with your application all the transcripts of all your school background, even before High Shool! Imagine :D! Basically it seems to be for the Swiss people , I don't know if a foreign applicant can meet this requirement just because the School system doesn't seem to be the same (A levels etc etc). Maybe I'm wrong, don't know again ;) If yes, hugh, let me at least 4 weeks to open all my archives at home, :ooh: !

- Well let's talk about the "expat" recruitment. Would you please tell me if that's only (or was :sad: ) an opportunity for the qualified expat ATC? I would say yes. Once again, maybe those who qualify have a work permit already. Don't know. If you could give me some explanations, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

ZRH
18th May 2003, 03:41
I've been here now for 4,5 yrs and am still on a B permit. This means that I have to renew my residence permit yearly and have one or thwo rights more than a refugee has. ha ha ha
A C-permit is like permanent residence. Skyguide will not sponsor ab-initio foreigners, but rather recruit liscensed foreign controllers.
At the moment the training center at Zurich is running at full steam. Plenty of youngsters being pushed through the system.

As a foreign controller, you first apply for the job and when they decide to hire you, they also organise the residence/work permits for you.
Hope this helps