PDA

View Full Version : Beech 1900D JAA type rating

Aeronavigant
30th Apr 2002, 21:32
Hello All,

I appreciate any info on TRTOs offering B1900D type ratings (JAA)

Usualy JAA type rating training is much more expensive than FAA ratings. Any idea about how much it costs for a JAA 1900 TR.

Thanks alot and any info will be much appreciated.

Empty Cruise
2nd May 2002, 20:32
Hi Aeronavigant,

A 1900D full OCC should be priced at approx. 11500 Euro. If you drop me a mail, I might be able to help you with some names & adresses.

Brgds,
Empty

Aeronavigant
3rd May 2002, 01:56
Hello empty cruise,

Thank you for the reply, I tried to e-mail you directly through the website for further info but I couldn't.

You could e-mail me as i have my option for direct e-mail activated.

Cheers

:)

Empty Cruise
3rd May 2002, 09:07
:eek: :eek: Catch 22 situation :eek: :eek:

I cannot e-mail you - and I thought I had my e-mail option open - but that appears not to be the case!

Hmmmmmnnn - OK, give it a shot at...........
Learn the number by heart, then swallow Danny's server :D

Brgds,
Empty

Aeronavigant
3rd May 2002, 23:41
I'm sorry but can't call you at this stage on the number provided.

You sure can e-mail me direct using any e-mail account if you are concerned about advertising your info.

I have gotten a list of TRTO's in France but so far i am keen to look for others in other parts of EU.

'%MAC'
4th May 2002, 03:20
Hey guys while I'm burning band width here...

Why is a JAR Type more than an FAA type??
Not to be a jerk, which my F/O's would say I am, what could be the difference... don't worry about getting technical, I have way more time on the ol' 02 then I'll ever admit too. Come on, go at it, your chance to belittle an ami. The white circles around the switches, tail stall (had that going into KPUB due to severe icing, Josh spent 2 hours cleaning it off), lightening strike, had that also, load shedding, ferry flights with one gen inop in IMC - sorry didn't take that one, crosswinds of 40 kts at field elevations of 3,000 meters and temps in excess of 40 degrees C???? I Realise I'm being an ass, but how could the be-02 type be more rigorous than the stupid faa type (or did I answer my own question there??)

What ever you do, may you make less mistakes than I did and learn twice as much (that shouldn't be too difficult).... :)

All the Best

Aeronavigant
4th May 2002, 11:27
% MAC

Thanks for the contribution; I haven’t implied the JAA type rating was any difficult than the FAA one at all.

I personally hold both FAA and JAA (in accordance with JAR-FCL) licenses and I get frustrated to see the gap in prices as far as Type Rating training goes.

It seems in the case of the 1900 cost. No significant price gap exists as I have inquired about FAA endorsement and was told pricing in the range of 12000 US.

From my personal experience (very modest just out of school with a couple of hundred hours), FAA check rides are often more difficult than JAA ones due to the oral part prior to the flight test.

I reckon the practical test standards are going to be the same the only difference would be in the ground school component of the training.

FAA offers accelerated courses requiring prior preparation (80 hours minimum study) before doing these courses where as I haven’t heard of such thing in any JAA type rating course.

In the end it doesn’t mean anything whether JAA or FAA, it is the hours that count and your aeronautical experience.

You seem to be of great experience on the type, do you have any suggestion as to where do the Type rating training in the US?

After all I am a US citizen and seriously thinking of returning home , what are the job prospects on the type given 250 hours total including 100 + multi engine.

Thanks

:)

Empty Cruise
4th May 2002, 18:05
Hi Aeronavigant,

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but the TRTO I had in mind will absolutely not be a walk in the park regarding the theoretical side of the exercise (if you do not master that part, flying the sleigh like an ace won't be of much practical use as you won't know what to do when the fit hits the shan...). It comprises 18 hr. technical course + 3 hr. written test, 12 hr. performance + 3 hr. written test, 6 hr. CRM & multi-crew-cooperation, 12 hr. operational procedure + 3 hr. written test.

But after that, I know of no CRE who will be able to do the dirty on you in the pre-flight examination ;)

Brgds,
Empty.

'%MAC'
4th May 2002, 18:15
Thanks for the clarification; I’m always fascinated by the approach of other countries towards training and certifying flight crew. In no way do I think the FAA has the best procedure, or even a good procedure in certifying pilots. But the type rating is a special case, it is very specific to the aircraft at hand, and I wonder how it can be improved (and it probably needs to). I am from the old school and just think it’s a hoot to go up and do stalls and steep turns in the airplane, with AQP, we’re really not doing that anymore. I don’t think AQP is better, but I’m a dinosaur. Your point about the 80 hours makes sense, that would reduce the costs. Though those 80 hours are more like 160 hours in practice.

Is there a particular reason you want a 1900 type?

I would suppose you could get a type rating for around 6 to 7,000 dollars or even lower if you have previous experience. If you do not have a previous type rating then doing it in the sim will place a limitation on your certificate that you will require 25 (or it might be 28) hours of IOE. That’s not so bad, but it is restrictive if some corporation wants to hire you. The thing with the 1900 is that flying it and burning Jet-A is probably less costly then operating a level d sim. So doing it in the airplane will be more economical and you won’t have the limitation on your certificate. If you really want a 1900 type try contacting one of the operators and see if you can’t get in on one of their classes. Mesa, Great Lakes Aviation, Colgan (I think) or any others you can think of. This is not a far fetched idea, at one of the small carriers I worked for we had a guy sit in on class and do flight training in the 1900, he collects type ratings, I think he had 54 – flys for FedEx. But it was a lot cheaper for him to do it with us then to go to Flight Safety and pay the 10,000. Of course with 54 types the guy probably only needed 2 hours in the thing before his check ride.

If you just want a type, do something fun like a DC-3, a real conversation starter at an interview. If you can fly a DC-3 you certainly can fly most any prop. But don’t take my word for it, do some independent research. If you’re looking for a job and you think a 1900 type will be the difference, it really depends on your resume (cv) But I haven’t seen where it would make the difference.

The price you quoted is outrageous, 737 types can be had for half that (and are twice as fun).

Aeronavigant
5th May 2002, 23:10
Empty Cruise,

Thank you for the info, I will be in touch with you again if further info is needed.
I am doing my homework and looking for a good place and once a definite need to do a B1900D type-rating course, is identified I’ll be in touch.

%MAC,

Thanks to you as well, The B1900 is a common plane with air-taxi operators as well as regional carriers and looks like a good stepping-stone for entry-level pilots like myself. Besides few companies that have it may require pilots.

Attending the course with a part141 carrier sounds like a great idea if I am to endorse my FAA certificate, however do these carriers actually type rate F/O’s on them or simply give them F/O training (different to type rating) since the aircraft is below a certain MTOW limit.

'%MAC'
6th May 2002, 00:51
Aeronavigant,

Here is how it basically works in the states. You get your Comm/inst then you get your CFI, II, MEI and build time teaching. If you have 250 hours, that is probably your only course of action, or banner towing. The lowest minimum flight time requirement I've heard of is 500 hours up at LAB flying service in Alaska. 500 hours total required and you're flying PA-28s (160 or 180) to and from small villages VFR. (Okay VFR in Alaska is a joke, there is no such thing if you're trying to keep schedule, but that is the certificate under which they operate).

So you have a lot of multi time compared with total time, good. Some interns might be getting on at certain carriers with less then 500 hours, but they were interns. At the crappy companies I have suffered with, I flew with an intern 750 TT, he was a lot better then some of the 2000 hr guys. I want to reiterate that I am not making any comment on ability here, I flew with a guy who said he had 17,000 hours - after flying with him I thought no, you've got 1,000 hours repeated 17 times.

GLA and Mesa have very low entry requirements - I'd try there first as an F/O. The money you save on a type you're going to need for groceries because the pay is crap.

Keep asking, but if I were in the hiring department and my company flew 1900s and two guys came in with 300 hours, one with a type on the 1900 and another with a different type, I don't know that I'd be so predisposed to hire the 1900 guy. You have to send them through the same training anyway, regardless of previous types, and they both have demonstrated that they can learn an airplane.

Tough question, there probably isn't a correct answer. It sounds as though your mind's pretty well set on the 02 type, so good luck.

Let me then ask you what specific company do you want to work for that flies the 1900?

Ask their chief pilot what he/ she recommends.

If you do go for the type remember to have fun and fly with a smile on your face, (releases tension and gives you better SA). This is a stupid career path if don't love airplanes or you're not having fun.

About the training (I suppose that's a typo, it's 121). You'd be going not as an employee but a contractee for a type rating (we only have captain types here, a type is a type is a type)

Well keep in touch, let us know what you've decided.