PDA

View Full Version : to get job in canada

nirmalvirk
16th Jun 2013, 04:42
hi,
i m indian cpl holder and i have 250 hrs of flying experience.how can i get job in canada.

jamiepilot77
16th Jun 2013, 11:43
With those times and a foreign licence and no right to work in Canada it'll be tough. Not to mention Canada has tons of 250 hour wonders with no jobs that'll be hard competition. The best way to become a pilot in Canada for someone who doesn't have the right to work here would be to immigrate for a job in demand I.e. nurse, engineer etc... Then after you get your landed immigrant status then do your flight training in Canada. Then two or three years up in the north working the ramp.

Pappa Delta
16th Jun 2013, 12:32
Just Curious, why Canada. It is a long way from India. Canadian winters you may not like. You have an Indian license? You want to build hours? Try Africa, Try South East Asia. China? Get a Flight Instructor license and you will even get a job in India.

mi8
16th Jun 2013, 19:32
Same question,

I m JAR CPL holder with 1200 f hrs mostly Mi-8T (also SA-341 Gazelle, R22, R449, full combat rated (still military pilot) with great aerial firefighting experience, external cargo, high terrain (more than 2000 m AMSL), parashuters, etc.

English language proficiency: level 4 (four);

Medical Certificate Class 1;

Best way ti immigrate to Canada and fly ?

I prefer hevy winter :)

Thx

nirmalvirk
17th Jun 2013, 02:11
thank you
yes i am cpl holder and wants to build hrs.please tell me where i can get job in africa.

BgVlad
17th Jun 2013, 08:32
So what is it now that you want....Canada or Africa? You also haven't mentioned if you have legal right to live and work in Canada or not. Considering your age ( if correct ) you should be able to answer your questions yourself, with a little bit of networking and dedication of course.

By the way, whats wrong with flying in India? If you tell me there are no jobs, what makes you think there are jobs available for inexperienced foreigners elsewhere?

nirmalvirk
17th Jun 2013, 11:09
no i have no legal right to live or work in canada and presently there is no job in india. approximately 2000 cpl holder sitting there home due to no job in india

tbaylx
17th Jun 2013, 15:42
Its not any better in Canada, even if you had the right to work here, it would be tough finding a job with 250 hours.

As a foreigner with no work permit it's impossible.

BgVlad
17th Jun 2013, 18:11
Out of curiosity, is there any general aviation job in India like instructing or charter flying on small piston airplanes or turboprops?
I know quite a few guys out of those 2000 CPL holders you mentioned but I know for sure they are sitting around waiting for opportunity to fly jets (A320/B737 if possible).

See the problem is that if any company wants to hire a foreign pilot, they will look for a foreign pilot with substantial experience and time on type. If they are to hire a low hour guy than they will definitively try to look for one amongst local population. It's like that in Africa, Asia...etc.
Of course there is an exeption to every rule but the only way to get hired as an expat with low hours is through contacts, networking, knocking on doors....sitting at home, sending out CVs wont help, trust me. Unfortunately even this will not help you in Canada if you don't have legal right to work there.

Unless you can immigrate there through skilled worker program ( Commercial Pilot is not on the list), or as an investor or some family connection it will be impossible to immigrate to Canada as a pilot.

nirmalvirk
25th Sep 2013, 15:58
thanks sir

Flying Mechanic
26th Sep 2013, 10:16
What other skills do you have?if there's that many pilots unemployed in India, u might be better of in a country where's there's some chance of flying. Go to Canada , take any job, and start doing some instructing on the side. I got my cpl in 96, I never got a flying job until 99.it was 3 long years. Stick at it and never give up.
Cheers FM

pilotchute
29th Sep 2013, 01:43
Well Nirmalvrik,

You are seemingly a product of the new generation. Tell me where the jobs are? Tell me how this and tell me how that. Not one shred of initiative shown by you at all. Don't tell me, you got your licence a year ago and still haven't found a job! "Why isn't anyone giving me a job" I hear you scream!

By the way the amount of 250 hour CPL holders in India without a job is now believed to be around 6000.

Just to make it even more difficult for you the amount of Indian pilots caught with fake hours/ratings/licences has made many companies simply not take the chance on hiring Indian pilots.

liftman
29th Sep 2013, 19:17
hi all,

I think I ma in a little bit different situation...2000TT with 200 On floats, air traffic controller area rated, thinking to transfer to Canada any chance for me?

777AV8R
30th Sep 2013, 12:30
Right on the mark, Chute!

First off...do these guys not read ANY of the previous posts? How many times do some of these 'wanna-bes' have to be told that: Do you have a right to work...yahdah yahdah.

And sorry...I just won't hire anybody from the SubContinent. I worked there for several years and the printing press' on the side-streets of Mumbai were working 24/7.

I worked with one guy....25 years old...he asked me to sign his logbook after a flight to LHR. I looked at his book...not bad...9,000 hours! NOOOOOO!

Virk..you're countrymen and DGCA have pretty well relegated you to your own airspace and that of Indonesia.

And, I don't believe that any 2000 hours and no right to work here, even with an ATC license is going to do anything...read above...Do you have the right to work here?

Canada has a lot of fantastic pilots of its own who are looking for work. I believe Canadian pilots are the best in the world. At least they have stick and rudder skills and excellent airmanship. The infinite type of weather conditions that the Canucks fly in, is challenging and this makes for good pilots. We're lucky.

sierra_november
1st Oct 2013, 16:36
Just to make it even more difficult for you the amount of Indian pilots caught with fake hours/ratings/licences has made many companies simply not take the chance on hiring Indian pilots. Virk..you're countrymen and DGCA have pretty well relegated you to your own airspace and that of Indonesia.What you guys probably don't know is, almost 70% of commercial pilot licence holders in India did their training abroad (mainly from US, Canada and Australia between 2004-2010). They helped many flight instructors in the above mentioned countries gain valuable flight hours quickly and move on to their next job on a bigger, heavier airplane.

Indian pilots have to convert their foreign licence to an Indian one to get a job in India. I dont think holding an Indian licence would disqualify anyone from getting a job in a foreign country if that person holds a TC/ FAA licence as well.

Canada has a lot of fantastic pilots of its own who are looking for work. I believe Canadian pilots are the best in the world. At least they have stick and rudder skills and excellent airmanship. The infinite type of weather conditions that the Canucks fly in, is challenging and this makes for good pilots. We're lucky.I did my flight training in Canada and I can attest to your statement, but just being Canadian does not make one a good pilot by default. The standards are the same for everyone and therefore an Indian or a Japanese or a Nigerian pilot who has trained in Canada would be as good as a Canadian pilot (of the same level of experience).

nirmalvirk
9th Oct 2013, 06:55
hello 777AV8R
with your reply i can tell you one thing that i trained in India its not means that i have no skill.I am toper in Indian aviation and having good flying skill and trained by indias one of the best instructor.
I know that DGCA not doing good but I believe in my self.thanks for your reply.:D

250hrsand counting
10th Oct 2013, 00:06
@nirmalvirk
its not easy to get a job in canada as a pilot, im a resident of Canada with CPL, ME/IR pilot with 250 hours and its still difficult to get in the aviation industry as there are lots of guys and girls in my shoes. try building your hours in Africa or Asia then when you hit the magic 1000 come back and reapply to Canada.

you cant get into Canada to work without a work permit or a landed immigrant status. try getting get an instructor rating which will help you in the long run.

Its a tough and long road and all i can say is be the captain of your life.

RT787
10th Oct 2013, 05:13
As a Canadian working on my CPL, I can tell you there's hundreds of people in the same situation in the 250-1000 hour range all competing for a few jobs, who are fantastic pilots

Jet Jockey A4
10th Oct 2013, 12:59
I think there are a lot of people now trolling the Canadian forum and asking about jobs here because of the new "sticky" post about how to get a flying job in Canada.

My $0.02.

evansb
10th Oct 2013, 18:55
As long as the foreigners are aware that there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of unemployed Canadian pilots eagerly awaiting a career in the cockpit.