PDA

View Full Version : Course postponement

30th Apr 2002, 11:27
I thought there was a shortage of ATCO's! Just heard today that NATS have dropped the amount of students on the courses. This means that some people have had their start date delayed by 3 months! Also, any truth to the rumour that these courses are now single discipline ie. either area or aerodrome but not both anymore? Confused? I am! :confused:

Goldfish Watcher
30th Apr 2002, 11:46
something maybe to do with simulator availability - i.e. do they still keep falling over??

less students per course is obviously a good thing from a teaching point of view. more sim time

Bright-Ling
30th Apr 2002, 12:50
There have been a reduced number of Trainee Controllers (Not allowed to be called Students any more!) per course for most of the year.

Wouldn't like to give you the exact reason......but many are holding around the UK with NO licence at teh moment so are reduced to ATSA duties and listening in.

I also heard the rumour about being "streamed" for Area/Approach/Tower and only gaining ratings in one discipline.

Will that make going to units such as LL/SS/KK/GW/CC less desireable?

KazBird
30th Apr 2002, 16:04
The streamlining bit for either area or aerodrome control is true - all trainees on the same course initially then split according to whether you are chosen to train for area or aerodrome - overall idea to reduce the training time and costs???

Postponement is definitely happening too. The July 2002 course has its number reduced 20 or 24 (can't remember exactly) students. I'm booked on the October 2002 course when I've been told the numbers are back up to 30.

Bright-Ling
30th Apr 2002, 16:29
Kazbird......

.....tell us mere ATCO's more!!!! We aren't privy to such information!

flyingwingofjazzdestiny
30th Apr 2002, 16:44
Mmm...this is most interesting.
I`m on the July course.
I wasn`t aware that NATS were/are reducing intake.

Euroc5175
30th Apr 2002, 17:37
The College was supposed to be going to 2 shifts per day to get more Trainee Controllers / Students through the system.

The larger intakes were based upon this fact. However, the lack of staff to work the shifts threw a spanner into the works - hence course sizes are not going to increase in size as predicted. :rolleyes:

niknak
30th Apr 2002, 19:46
So does that mean that the some of the students - sorry, trainee atco's, are being chopped all together or just delayed ad - infinitum?

Are they employed (paid) by NATS (or whoever) from the time that they are accepted as a successful candidates or from the date they start at the College?

Is the world round?

KazBird
1st May 2002, 09:10
I got my info from the recruitment dept at NATS - admittedly was a month or two ago ...
When I was given the October course I asked what the chances were of a place being found on the July course - the reply was that the nos on July course had been reduced - hence the wait.
We were told during the recruitment process that if you met all their criteria you were offered a place on the next course with spaces - so in theory everyone that sits the test could get through - would prob result in a huge waiting list!! but this is not a worry to NATS as you only get paid from the date you start the course NOT the date you are accepted.

atco-matic
1st May 2002, 11:22
I shouldn't worry about course postponement too much lads and lasses... the way things are going there will be nobody who wants to train you when you get to swanwick anyway! (see OJTI's RESIGN thread)

Bev Bevan
1st May 2002, 20:57
The college were on shifts for the autumn module last year (oct-dec), I gather that the reason for shifts ending was to save money.. it was disproportionately expensive for a number of reasons.
Having taken on large numbers of trainees (2 courses of 48?), the individual courses had to be reduced in size due to lack of simulator capacity.
This had two knock-on effects... the excess trainees holding at locations around NATS.. and subsequent new intakes being reduced in size to make room for the holding trainees to complete their courses.

If that makes sense.

BB

Spamcan defender
2nd May 2002, 17:13
Well, Just got a nice letter through from NATS informing me that I wont be on the July course. :eek: :( However, it seems I'm on the October course instead :D :D
Not to worry, I'll get there one way or another:cool:
Seems a few of you are on this course too, so until then........

Bright-Ling
3rd May 2002, 17:39
Spam.........

.....did they give a YEAR!!!!

left outer, right inner
3rd May 2002, 18:36
I got delayed from october 2002 to jan 2003

No probs tho really

(as long as it does not slip any further)

LORI

coracle
3rd May 2002, 19:10
The reduction in course numbers came about due to an immense f##k up by the management in the college. If I recall correctly they were warned by the instructors and students that the shift system in the college would never work due to a number of factors. The main one being a severe lack of instructors mainly on the area side where most of the students are destined. Two retired and another two who were on secondment from LACC left because they felt that their views as valid ATCO's wern't being taken seriously enough by those who haven't controlled a proper aeroplane in years! But I digress.

The second reason it didn't work is that there wasn't enough areodrome OJT places them. It was bad enough finding places for twenty odd people let alone forty as they now had, which led to people holding without licences and thus sitting on their backsides doing naff all.

The third reason was money. When they worked the figures they found it too expensive by the time they paid shift allowence to the students, instructors, blip drivers, kitchen staff etc etc. I think they put the figure at around an extra million pounds a year in wage bills alone!! And they forgot to tell the airline group this when they tool over. Whoops.

So all is not sunny in Bournemouth!!!!