PDA

View Full Version : MATZ Pen's

F4TCT
11th Jun 2013, 17:51
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Always been taught 'do not enter a MATZ (not the airfield zone) unless you have clearance to do so. However ive read that you technically dont even need to speak to them to enter the MATZ itself, excluding of course the airfield zone.

IS THIS TRUE?

I would of course always speak to the zone controller as a matter of courtesy, however I i'm looking at a trip into old sarum in the coming weeks and thought well, if i get clearance into the MATZ to land, then how do you go about getting clearance to take off again? - this led to google searches and people saying no permission is required to fly in the MATZ.

Dan

Jim59
11th Jun 2013, 18:18
CAA guidance below. In general if taking off either call as soon as airborne or, even better, find their telephone number and give them a call when you are ready to get in the aeroplane with an airborne estimate. If you are using a specific aerodrome in a MATZ get their advice as to the local procedures they have in-place.

Old Saram have published advice at
EGLS Information | oldsarumairfield.co.uk (http://www.oldsarumairfield.co.uk/site/pilot-services/procedures-a-information.html)

A Reference Guide to UK Phraseology For General Aviation Pilots: A Supplement to CAP 413 Radiotelephony Manual

Page 27

Military Aerodrome Traffic Zone (MATZ)
While it is not mandatory for civilian pilots to establish radio contact with the appropriate military unit when entering a MATZ, if your planned track passes through or near one, it is strongly recommended that you call on the published VHF zone frequency at least 15 miles or 5 minutes flying time before the MATZ boundary, whichever is sooner. You should request MATZ and, if you intend to route through it, ATZ penetration. When crossing a MATZ or Combined MATZ (CMATZ) it is the responsibility of the pilot to ensure that permission is obtained to transit each individual ATZ embedded within it. You may ask the controller to obtain these clearances on your behalf.

Use of QFE
Military units use QFE in the circuit area, instrument pattern and, except for a small number of units, for MATZ penetration.

Meaning of ‘Freecall’
‘Freecall’ is used by military controllers to mean that the aircraft should call the named unit, but the details have not been passed on.

F4TCT
11th Jun 2013, 18:20
Cool thanks

Dan

this is my username
11th Jun 2013, 18:57
If you take a look at the Old Sarum website you will find the procedures for joining and departing Old Sarum:

EGLS Information | oldsarumairfield.co.uk (http://www.oldsarumairfield.co.uk/site/pilot-services/procedures-a-information.html)

No contact with the MATZ controllers is required if you follow the procedures, and if you do contact them then they will tell you to follow the procedures .....

The MATZ is inactive at the weekend.

Saab Dastard
11th Jun 2013, 22:42
Lots of hits using the search function here in PF for the keyword MATZ.

SD

chevvron
11th Jun 2013, 22:47
MATZ are class G airspace outside the statutory ATZ and 'permission' to transit is only required for military aircraft.
MATZ are only deemed to exist when the airfield they surround is open for operational flying, thus at weekends, most MATZ disappear.(NB Recreational flying by light aircraft or gliders doesn't count as operational flying)

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Jun 2013, 22:51
(1) It's true you don't legally need to speak to them, but choosing not to do so is generally considered somewhat daft.

(2) Call three times. If no reply, announce your intention and fly through. You could stay tuned to the frequency whilst in the zone to hear, and thus get some situational awareness about, other people doing the same.

(3) For procedures for departing an airfield in or under a MATZ, ask locally before taking off (if you haven't looked them up in the AIP/in Pooleys/on the web/wha'ever first).

I go over the top, cloud base, controlled airspace etc permitting. Nobody else up there!

chevvron
11th Jun 2013, 22:55
'Nobody else up there' (apart from aircraft carrying out QGH letdowns of course!)

Arclite01
12th Jun 2013, 10:41
The ATZ is 2500' and the MATZ is 3000'

So like GtW I usually go over the top - cloudbase permitting

Arc

chevvron
12th Jun 2013, 14:28
And that makes it safe does it? What if there's someone doing a procedural letdown using an on-airfield TACAN? You'll be in the radar overhead and hence not visible on radar.

Antek
12th Jun 2013, 17:57
There's never any harm giving them a call, be it R/T from the air or phone from the ground. As they used to say in the old days:

Every cloud has a silver Lightning...

Lokki
12th Jun 2013, 18:41
They still say that..

Monocock
12th Jun 2013, 19:19
I too would recommend a call, allowing you and them to both know your intentions and their upcoming traffic. Not calling them because you don't HAVE to isnt really a good reason not to!!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
13th Jun 2013, 13:21
The ATZ is 2500'

Are you sure? You've not added 500ft come in handy margin?

chevvron
13th Jun 2013, 13:50
ATZ is 2000ft above aerodrome elevation and MATZ goes up to 3000ft above aerodrome elevation. Anyone who assumes there will be no traffic associated with the airfield above this level is sadly lacking in foresight as many military iaps (especially QGH) start well above it.
On a 'tangential' subject, would it not be better to standardise ATZs for all airfields (military and civil) with iaps to be 5nm radius up to 3000ft agl, with VFR airfields staying as they are now thus making the rules the same for ATZ and MATZ?

soaringhigh650
13th Jun 2013, 13:58
10 years on and still people are asking the same old questions about MATZ and instructors and students alike are still not getting it! :ugh:

I say it again:

NO REQUEST OR CLEARANCE IS NEEDED TO ENTER ANY MATZ.
IT IS HOWEVER ADVISABLE TO GET A LARS TRAFFIC SERVICE.
CLEARANCE IS NEEDED TO ENTER THE ATZ.

chevvron
13th Jun 2013, 14:00
soaringhigh650: there may not be a LARS available and MATZ transit service may not include a surveillance system.

gasax
13th Jun 2013, 14:01
The difference between MATZ and ATZ seems typical of the regulatory approach - let's make everything different because we can.

It would be much more sensible to standardise the rules (and reduce another perennial forum topic to dust!). Especially as some MATZ tend to act like Class D anyhow.... Ask and you will be refused.