PDA

View Full Version : Decision Making in Hijacking Situations - Not About Today's Incident

Been There...
24th May 2013, 17:11
I remember reading a paper recently during some of my studies looking at the decision making process and that in hindsight it was obvious what was going to happen, but when engaged in the incident itself, with the information at hand, things went a different way.

I have tried to find the paper again following today's events but can't find it.

The incident in question I believe involved an airliner coming across the Sinai desert and Israeli interceptors, some information being provided to the intercept crews, but not all. The area ops centre had other information. I am sure the crew conducted a VID of the aircraft. I also think there were some comms issues with the airliner which is why the fighters were scrambled. In hindsight the decision made was wrong, but at the time, was (potentially) the best information available.

The paper was in the formal literature and all I remember reading was summary papers of it as I couldn't download the full paper.

Does anyone know what incident I am talking about and any potential links?

I found it after someone pointed me in the right direction.

Lanir, Z., 1989, The reasonable choice of disaster-the shooting down of the Libyan airliner on 21 February 1973, The Journal of Strategic Studies, 12(4), pp. 479-93

Happy for thread to be locked unless someone wants to add to the discussion, or provide a link to somewhere other than Taylor and Francis for the article.

Regards