PDA

View Full Version : PPL at Stapleford or Denham (the pilot centre)?

jamiemw
19th May 2013, 13:42
Hi all,

Firstly, good to be here - it's my first post as an aspiring pilot.

I'm in between jobs at the moment and I've decided to get started on my PPL while I have the extra time, as I've always wanted to do it but never had an opportunity like this.

I wondered if anyone might share their views about whether to complete this at Stapleford or The Pilot Centre at Denham? I've narrowed my choice down to these two training centres as I live in Central London and they seem the best two options.

If you have experience of either, or both, I'd love it if you could share your views about the pros and cons of each, and particularly if there were any excellent instructors to look out for at each. I plan to visit both shortly.

custardpsc
19th May 2013, 23:18
Ive been flying for three years at the pilot centre, denham and can recommend it thoroughly. Nice people, high standards, very straightforward. No connection except satisfied customer, renewed my ppl and imc, got tailwheel and complex there, all good.

stickandrudderman
21st May 2013, 07:57
I too can recommend TPC. I have no experience of Stapleford.

OpenCirrus619
21st May 2013, 09:26
Another vote for TPC

OC619

Corsican
28th May 2013, 14:51
I am currently doing my PPL at The Pilot Centre and am very happy there.

Very friendly bunch, any instructor is happy to chat with you about questions you may have if your instructor is flying (useful when studying for the exams).

Before I started taking lessons, I had some thoughts on whether I should learn on a low-wing PA28 or high-wing Cessna. Denham has both although the PA28's are more expensive. In the end, it makes no difference from my perspective. For the purpose of learning to fly, a C152 is fine (and forgiving although somewhat cosy!), you can always upgrade/change later.

An important factor if you live in Central London is how long it will take you to get to Denham or Stanmore. I live near Paddington so a drive up the A40 one way is about 25 minutes. Bearing in mind you will have up to 60 minutes brief before flying for about 60 minutes, you are spending 2 hours at TPC plus 1 hour commute, it knocks out 3 hours of your weekend easily (if all runs smoothly). A pain if you go there and your lesson then gets weathered out.

If you are using public transport, consider what works best. Whilst you can always study during the journey to and from the aerodrome, it should be conveniently accessible. I have 2 children so weekend time is premium (and negotiation with wife). It helps that my office is now near Northolt so I can occasionally have an early morning or late afternoon lesson...

You could always do a trial lesson at each and see where you feel more comfortable and what the commute is like. I had tried another aerodrome north of London, which, whilst a nice place, was a 1 hour drive one way if there was no traffic, so the commute time decided it for me.

Hope that helps and if you go for TPC, I may see you around.