PDA

View Full Version : US training restrictions due to 9/11.

Fan Marker
28th Apr 2002, 17:11
My firm want me to go to Flight Safety in US to do a HS125 type rating, but FS won't accept me because I am not a US citizen and I do not already have a type over 12500lb on my licence.

They say they are waiting info from Dept of Justice about what security info to put forward to Attorney General regarding trainees. This will take several weeks, maybe months. Till this happens, nothing happens.

Has anyone experienced this problem?, got round this problem?, or knows when the situation will be resolved?
What can I do about it?

GoneWest
28th Apr 2002, 19:26
Yep - have experienced the problem.

Have been talking to FSI about a jetstream rating at either Seattle or St. Louis.

There is no get round...training any non-US citizen who does not already have a type rating is illegal....and I already have a special FAA security clearance.

McDoo the Irish Navigator
29th Apr 2002, 13:29
Guys;

Maybe you could help me out here... do these new rules preclude me from getting a type rating on a new aircraft if I already have a rating for an a/c over 12, 5000lbs? For example, I have an A-330 rating, can I do 747 course?
Or, can you only train, upgrade etc., on a type already endorsed on your license?

Thanks.

Fan Marker
29th Apr 2002, 14:44
Nav,
As I understand it, if you already have a type over 12500lb on your licence the restriction does not apply.
The yanks will train you.

FM

easondown
29th Apr 2002, 15:03
Nav,

Although you have this rating for this weight category you still have to be employed be a carrier to get on a US type rating course.

McDoo the Irish Navigator
29th Apr 2002, 19:14
Thanks;

Gotcha; I wasn't thinking of buying myself an endorsement, I thought I might get a few groceries with this week's benefit cheque instaed.

In all seriousness, I was concerned that if a Canadian company needed to train it's pilots stateside, that it might not be able to do so.

Cheers.

Meeb
30th Apr 2002, 09:16
The bit about having to be employed to do a type rating does not sound correct to me. Guys in Australia are being told by Virgin Blue to get a 737 rating before starting work for them, the way I understand it they have a job offer conditional on securing the rating, but are not employed by the company. Most of them do the rating in the states.

mutt
9th May 2002, 03:11
A person who already holds a type rating on an aircraft above 12,500 lbs will be permitted to conduct subsequent type ratings completely in the simulator, whereas someone who doesnt needs to fly the actual aircraft.

It looks to me as if this ban is on flight training in commercial airliners rather than simulators.

Mutt.