PDA

View Full Version : TBO on Prop - Sensenich

Ebbie 2003
14th May 2013, 03:21
Does anyone know the FAA rules as they relate to TBO on fixed pitch Sensenich propellers?

Specifically, mine - a 76EM8S5 - used to have a 1000 hr TBO - this was changed to 2000 hrs in 1999 under a Sensenich Service Bulletin R-17.

What I cannot figure out is what happens when the 2000 hrs is reached - must it be replace? Is it sufficient to simply continue inspections?

It has never had major damage/repairs and only a couple of minor repairs of small nicks (an advantage of being mainly on asphalt runways).

Any definitive info with reference to the source of the info (regulations etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Silvaire1
14th May 2013, 03:30
Does anyone know the FAA rules as they relate to TBO on fixed pitch Sensenich propellers?

Run it until you and your A&P think it needs work due to leading erosion etc. No in-service TBO applies to a fixed pitch propeller in FAA regs, and most of them don't even have logbooks - so there's no way to know how much time is on them.

If you 'overhaul' them too often you shorten their life - repetitive blade rework turns them into 'toothpicks' with worse performance. You can't replace metal that's been removed and if there's no leading edge or other damage there's no need to do so.

Ebbie 2003
14th May 2013, 07:07
That's pretty much what I was hoping to hear.

Simply can't find anything on the subject in any publications.

It's difficult being down here away from a consensus of A&P's.

ChampChump
15th May 2013, 18:46
Try this (or other pages from their site)

Sensenich Propellers - Documents: Application Guides, Installation Instructions, Specs, Warranty, STCs... etc. (http://www.sensenich.com/support/documents)