PDA

View Full Version : Microlights

Flyaways
6th May 2013, 13:36
Whilst I am limited on cash, I was thinking instead of doing a PPL right now, I could get a Microlight Licence. Reason being it will take me about a year to get my PPL (at the rate I would expect to have lessons) and I wouldn't have the money to buy a share, therefore general flying getting the PPL would be quite limited.

So then I thought about Microlights. I could achieve the licence for about £3k which is much cheaper than the £8k for a PPL. This then leaves me with a good £7k to look at buying a share in a microlight (Or £7k to rent a microlight, if I can't get a share).

I am only 18 so I have plenty of time to get my PPL when I have more cash available.

I just have a few questions:

1) Flexwing or 3 Axis? Probably best to experience both types, but would you recommend one over the other, for someone who hasn't had any training before?

2) After I complete the NPPL(M) Licence, do I still need to do the full training + exams for the PPL? (Are there exams that I can skip or anything?)

3) What's better, flying a microlight or flying a light aircraft (in your opinion)

funfly
6th May 2013, 14:39
I started with a three axis microlight - an X-Air Falcon G-THAT - and learned with Gerry Breen in Portugal which I would recommend.

Flying on a budget definitely.

Later went on to get a group A aircraft then a state of the art glass fibre monster cost me an arm and a leg and I thought I was the bees knees - wrong.:eek:

It's easy to get upgraded to group A from three axis microlight but be prepared to do all the exams again.

My most fun flying was the X-Air microlight, I wish I had never moved from it.

I repeat...

My most fun flying was the X-Air microlight, I wish I had never moved from it.

Flyaways
6th May 2013, 19:58
Thanks funfly. How much do you think an X-Air Falcon costs?

funfly
6th May 2013, 20:22
Not sure of the cost nowadays, built for me about 10 years ago around £15K with Rotax 912.
Happy days...
http://www.funfly.co.uk/images/X-Air.jpg

The Fenland Flyer
6th May 2013, 20:25
For the flex vs fixed wing decision go with your heart not your head, at Chatteris we now only have a part time flex-wing instructor as the C-42 has been so popular for training (the lure of the heater helps.)
Converting from one to the other is no big deal but will take a few hours of training. Don't chose flex just to save money as the best way to save is to share an aircraft as part of a group, and groups are more common around fixed wing aircraft.

Have fun :)

funfly
6th May 2013, 20:34
I was 63 at the time and decided to learn as quickly as possible, went to Portugal to Jerry Breen's place and combined it with two holidays.
Went solo after 6 hours flying.
Algarve Airsports - Lagos, Portugal :: UK CAA Approved Microlight, Weightshift, 3-Axis and Floatplane Flight Training Centre. Lagos, Portugal (http://www.gerrybreen.com/index.shtml)
Microlight pilots are a varied bunch and there are still some who fly to 'basics' i.e. no radio etc. However I always had full kit in the aircraft and there are loads who do fly 'properly' using exactly the same techniques as a Cessna or Piper.
Don't expect to get anywhere fast, these machines are designed to fly not get you places quickly, you will find yourself tootling along at around 50 mph.
Other thing is that they are very safe because the construction is pretty basic and very strong. Pre flight checks allow you to visually inspect every connection and every surface intimately. As they are classed as homebuilt they can be fully maintained by you if that's your thing, not only is this cost effective but you know everything has been checked by you and is therefore perfect (as long as you do what is required).
Let us know what you decide. There are some for sale second hand and some where shares are available. My recommendation is to 'share' an aircraft, not only to split costs but to provide a joint interest in one aircraft. From experience I can tell you that being a single owner of an aircraft can be lonely at times.

Heston
7th May 2013, 07:28
Three-axis Microlights, For Sale X-air Falcon Mk 2 582 Blue Top, For Sale, advert ID=15396 (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=15396&imid=4)

See this ad for a nice example of an Xair Falcon. A "vanilla" Xair (ie not a Falcon - and some would argue the better aircraft) will cost you considerably less. Micros are often owned by groups as well to split costs. Cost of ownership will work out about the same as for a car.

British Microlight Aircraft Association,Microlight Clubs and Schools,Sub-Page (http://www.bmaa.org/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=9253)

Have a look at this link to the BMAA website to find a school near you. Go and visit them (call first) and have a chat, see if you like it, take a trial lesson. Better still, visit several near you - different schools have different styles, some are very commercial in outlook, others are more "clubby".

Flyaways
7th May 2013, 12:11
Thanks everyone.

@Funfly- you said that they don't go very fast. Do all microlights fly around that speed or get you get 'high performance' ones or anything?

I guess that would be ok though, as if I did my PPL i'd have to hire a plane for an hour to go flying, so I wouldn't be able to fly to places, stay for an hour or so and come home. (I'm assuming a share in a light aircraft will be considerably more than a microlight!).
------------
@Heston- I found a microlight school 8 miles from me with that, thanks :ok:
------------

Is getting a share in a microlight quite easy or are they pretty rare? Is it possible to get a group together and create our own share owned aircraft?

Thanks again :D

jjones666
7th May 2013, 13:27
modern "hotship" microlights can cruise at 150mph (e.g. flight design CT2K)

more typically a 4 stroke 3-axis will cruise at 70-100mph depending on type.

it is pretty simple to start your own syndicate and sell shares but you need to research this properly.

Flyaways
7th May 2013, 14:21
Ok thanks. I will do more research but i'm just getting an idea before I take the plunge :p