PDA

View Full Version : UK PPL to FAA PPL

Benj89
5th May 2013, 17:28
Hi, sorry if this has been posted before, but I looked and couldn't find anything recent with a suitable answer.

I have just got my PPL and I am looking to go to America in the next few months to do some hour building.

I have some holiday booked in July which I could potentially go over there, however I haven't yet started the process of getting an FAA license on the back of my UK PPL (61.75).

With it being just two months away until I could potentially be going, I was just wanting to know if anyone had recent experience of getting a FAA PPL based on a EASA license using FAA provision 61.75.

I am aware on the FAA website is states in can take between 45 and 90 days to authenticate, I am just wondering if anyone had done it recently and what kind of timescales they experienced. As I have read on other sites it can take as little as 6 days.

It also says on the FAA site that you must apply for the certificate at least 90 days before you travel, obviously with it just being two months until I may be going it is less than 90 days, does anyone know if that would invalidate my conversion potentially?

Many thanks in advance. Help is greatly appreciated.

kyyle
5th May 2013, 21:22
Hi Benj89

Congrats on getting your PPL

i cant help u with the FAA but i wanted to no where im the states are u planning on going and how much are the hour building lessons is the price any diff from the uk ???

turbulentmonkey
6th May 2013, 08:26
I was issued my FAA PPL on the back of my UK issued license a few months back so can hopefully shed some light on the process. Basically, you need to complete and send this form to the FAA:

Airmen Certification - Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

And for the UK CAA you'll need to fill out form SRG1187 and form SRG1160. A quick search on the CAA website should do the job.

Upon arrival in the U.S. you'll need to visit the local FSDO and fill in some forms. They'll issue you with a temporary airman certificate until your plastic credit card style license arrives in the post.

HippoFlyer
6th May 2013, 09:19
Hi Benj89,

Just to add to what the turbulentmonkey said... The FAA will send you a letter once they have validated your details with the CAA. They also send a copy of this letter to the FSDO you designated in your application. Once you have this letter you can call your FSDO and schedule your appointment.
All the documents can be faxed to speed up the process. I think it took me less than 30 days end to end.

Ebbie 2003
6th May 2013, 19:23
Fastest and surest way of doing this is to find an FBO who will facilitate the process, the one from which you plan to hire a plane.

They will help with the paperwork, probably drive you to the fielf office to file it etc and most importantly get you the flight review thst you'll need to be legal; the flight review can double for you check out in their airplane

You need your UK licence and your UK medical plus the flight review by an FAA CFI (lasts two years) for the licence to be legal - although an FAA PPL is automatically good f
or nighthe 'piggy-back' licence you'll have is only good for day VFR.

If you find an FBO that is switched on they'll have everything lined up the day you arrive - if you're renting from them it's in their interest to get you sorted asap - there are many places in Florida geared up for these arrangements.

If you are planning any flight instruction beyond the flight review you will need TSA/FBI clearance on you first trip ovsr for training - may need in just to rent the first time - the system is convoluted, another reason for getting a good FBO/flight school to facilitate.

Maoraigh1
6th May 2013, 20:50
although an FAA PPL is automatically good for night the 'piggy-back' licence you'll have is only good for day VFR.

FAA Piggy-back now includes night - if your original licence does.
If you get an FBO to help, you're morally tied to him. You've got plenty of time to get it on your own - then you're free to look for the cheapest deal for your hours.
You'll be hiring a car, so getting to an FSDO should be no problem.

Ebbie 2003
8th May 2013, 01:26
Correct on the night if the UK licence has night.

I made the point just to make it clear that while an FAA PPL has automatic night, the piggy-back does not.

A further thing to be aware of is that one can only piggy-back once - so if one piggy-backs a PPL SEP this year and later want to piggy-back, say a rotorcraft PPL, then no go one has already used up ones one shot.

Gomrath
13th May 2013, 18:33
I made the point just to make it clear that while an FAA PPL has automatic night, the piggy-back does not.

Not quite accurate.
A FAA 61.75 issued 'based on a foreign license' provides parity with whatever the underlying foreign license provides.
So a 'piggyback license' can carry night priveliges if the underlyincg license (UK in this instance) carries night validation.

Getting issued with a 61.75 is quite easy,
However that is only part of the exercise, as has been stated, the Flight Review then needs to be undertaken and will comprise of a minimum of 1 hours ground and 1 hour in the air however you might wnt to typically expect double that.
Get a copy of the FAR/AIM and review it as most of the ground portion will be on FAA regulations.