PDA

View Full Version : Need to renew a Non Current FAA PPL in the UK

stevemew
5th May 2013, 09:37
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how I get flying again as a PPL under VFR in the UK on an FAA PPL that has expired.

I haven't flown in about 3 years so it's not current but understand that it is possible to fly on an ICAO ticket here as long as it's valid.

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I called the CAA and they pointed me to CAP804 but I am really not entirely sure how to interpret the requirements.

Cheers

steve

englishal
5th May 2013, 13:11
If it is a standalone FAA Certificate, you just need to do a BFR with FAA CFI. As soon as you have done the FAA BFR you are good to go. If it is "based on" a foreign certificate (such as JAA PPL), then you need to make sure that is valid as well.

Silvaire1
5th May 2013, 14:41
FAA pilot certificates do not expire, and yours is valid. As mentioned, to use your certificate, you need to complete a BFR with a FAA certificated flight instructor and get his entry and signature in your logbook. Unless you'll be flying a Light Sport Eligible aircraft in the US, you'll also need a current third class FAA medical certificate. No paperwork or direct contact with the FAA will be required.

sapperkenno
5th May 2013, 15:06
All you need is a Flight Review (nobody calls them BFRs anymore) with a CFI, and to have a FAA medical. If you haven't flown for a while, don't be surprised if it takes more than the minimum of one hour ground and a one hour flight.
Make sure you get a FAA medical, minimum of THIRD CLASS.

There is a smashing bloke down at Staverton who can do the medical, and it won't break the bank.

I can do your flight review for you, and am based in Yorkshire.

All you need to know from the CAA, is that you will be granted Private Pilot, Day-VFR privileges (ONLY) when flying a G-reg. The FAA make their side of the bargain quite clear, and you really should know the requirements for yourself as a FAA certified Pilot and not need spoon-feeding.

englishal
5th May 2013, 15:41
nobody calls them BFRs anymore
Apart from Englishal and Silvaire1 ;)

Actually it is not Day VFR but all the privileges on the FAA certificate, including ratings. In the case of an IR there is a limitation that you only exercise the privileges outside CAS though (although it was intended to give the same privileges as the IMC rating, though the initially wording of the IMC rating was - "outside controlled air space" - when the only controlled airspace was Class A. Unfortunately this wording stuck with the FAA IR even though we have Class A-F CAS these days, meaning that it effectively can only be used in Class G airspace).

sapperkenno
5th May 2013, 21:26
I had heard that about the IR before, which is interesting. Can you post the reference for that please?

So hypothetically, if someone has a current FAA IR, having done an IPC within the last 6-12 months, and also has an EASA PPL which they were going to add an IR(R) to (the "old" IMCr which could be attained by simply paying the CAA as you already held a current ICAO IR - having passed a flight test or revalidation within 12 months) they wouldn't actually be gaining anything, as they can legally fly the G-reg in IMC in class G and be legal because of their foreign IR? So there's not actually any point paying for the IMC/IR(R), as there's nothing to gain?!

BFR does still roll off the tongue rather nicely, but that's not the correct name for a Flight Review these days!

My understanding is it's Private Pilot (even if you hold a Commercial or ATP) level recognition only, in that you can't fly for reward or hire, in a G-reg. As far as ratings, I presume you mean along the lines of tailwheel, complex endorsements etc? Certainly as far as instructor ratings go, they don't carry any weight and can't be used in anger in a G-reg. But is that just if money is exchanging hands?!

It's not the easiest to use/understand system that we employ in this part of the world is it?

Prop swinger
5th May 2013, 23:02
Article 62 of the ANO, towards the end of Section 1, Part 6 of CAP 393 (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=226), (p70 of my copy.) Para 4 says you may not: . . . act as pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying.so presumably IFR outside CAS is OK.

Of course this general validation ends for EASA aircraft in April 2014.