PDA

View Full Version : GoPro audio ATC/intercom

Motorola
4th May 2013, 09:22
Gday am considering purchasing a GoPro to film a trip in a C172S with King KMA26/28 audio panel and 4 point intercom.

I would like to record the ATC/intercom audio as well and am wondering if a simple 1/4" headphone plug in one of the spare passenger headphone sockets to a 3.5mm stereo plug in to the GoPro will work ok, or will it need a potentiometer in line to drop the level?

Is the GoPro mic socket stereo for 2 mics or does it use the third pole to provide mic power?

Thanks.

Steve6443
4th May 2013, 10:43
Gday am considering purchasing a GoPro to film a trip in a C172S with King KMA26/28 audio panel and 4 point intercom.

I would like to record the ATC/intercom audio as well and am wondering if a simple 1/4" headphone plug in one of the spare passenger headphone sockets to a 3.5mm stereo plug in to the GoPro will work ok, or will it need a potentiometer in line to drop the level?

Is the GoPro mic socket stereo for 2 mics or does it use the third pole to provide mic power?

Thanks.

Which GoPro are you talking about?

I have the GoPro 3 (White edition), using the skeletal housing I have the Combo Cable which allows me to then use a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adaptor, plug the mic input from the Combo Cable into a Headphone socket without any potentiometer inline to give excellent quality. You could theoretically buy a cheaper adaptor from (eg) Conrad - USB to mic in, for example - but I wanted the Combo Cable as this allows me to keep the USB socket available to connect to a 24v car charger.

Negative with this solution: The LCD Backpack does NOT work if you're using this cable but as I don't have it, it's not an issue. What I do use is the WiFi functionality to my iPhone and preview the screen via the Go Pro App.

I can't answer the question with regards stereo / power input, sorry.