PDA

View Full Version : current prices and reccommendations

kernowlife
3rd May 2013, 12:05
Hi all, new to the forum

I've had a look around the site but can't find the answer I am looking for.

What is the current (2013) price of obtaining a PPL? (and possibly commercial licence)

I've got an online business that will be financing the venture (hopefully over the next couple of years)

Also I'm in the North west of Uk (Near Preston) so am looking for reccommendations on a good flying school in the area.

Long term I may be considering upgrading my licence and take up flying for a career. (Not to far from Manchester, Liverpool airports)

Thanks

Stuart

bravobravo74
4th May 2013, 08:23
Welcome to the forum Stuart.

The following is a link to the online version of last year's Where to Fly Guide. Even though it's a year old it's still relevant for people who are considering learning to fly and will give you a rough idea of your options and what to expect.

Where To Fly Guide 2012 - Where To Fly Guide 2012 digital edition (http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?EID=561a13e3-c718-4cd2-904d-04678129536c)

My advice would be to avoid thinking about flying as a career unless it's something that you have a burning desire to do. If your current situation allows you to live comfortably whilst flying for pleasure then you're in a better position than a lot of hopefuls who have already taken the commercial plunge. Are you willing to bet upwards of £50,000 that you'll get a flying job ahead of the many unemployed pilots in the UK?

Good luck with the flying if you decide to go ahead with it.

A and C
4th May 2013, 13:50
The biggest problem for a newcomer to flying is that there are a lot of ways to charge resulting in some who quote a price per hour for flying without VAT, landing fees, instructor, pre & post flight briefings........ And the list goes on !

Cabair were the masters of this art.

What you need is places with an ethical charging policy and high trainning standards while I am no expert in the establishments in your area I think that Manchester flight training are worth looking at.

foxmoth
4th May 2013, 15:04
If near Preston then Blackpool is worth looking at as well, though I am out of touch with who is good there and who are the sharks.:}

RTN11
4th May 2013, 16:25
I second A and C's sentiment.

It can be very difficult to compare two flying school prices.

One may charge for anytime that the engine is running, and have an instrument onboard called a hobbs meter which will log this so they can take an accurate reading, and bill you in 0.1 hour sections (6 minute blocks). This rate is probably around 180 an hour at the moment for a typical 4 seater.

Another school may charge from the time you get airborne until the time you land, with a fixed 12 minute charge on top for ground time (6 mins either side of the flight for taxi) relying on you being honest in logging the take off and landing time. The rate for this would be less on paper, but when you've taken the fixed 12 min charge into account it will be closer to the other way of charging. Easy to think you're getting a good deal and then find out there's some fixed fee on top of the original price you didn't realise would be added.

Then there is taco time, which is different from both of the above whereby it counts the number of times the engine has turned and you get charged on that. Quite complicated, and again can look like a cheap rate at first but would usually have a fixed fee applied on top.