PDA

View Full Version : BA - GLA-LHR monopoly - no baggage transfer to non - 'One World Alliance' airlines.

Bond'll Do
29th Apr 2013, 02:29
Fact = BA on their monopoly of the GLA-LHR route are refusing to transfer bags at LHR to/from non- 'One World Alliance' partners.

This issue now rests with local MP (for possible MSP involvement) James Sheridan MP (aka Jim) at: Jim Sheridan - Labour Member of Parliament for Paisley and Renfrewshire North (http://www.jimsheridanmp.org.uk/)

Luckily have the evidence of a reply from BA claiming NO GO on baggage transfers at LHR for anyone from GLA onto non 'One World' alliance partners.

Any other experiencing this travesty, please contact BA direct and Jim Sheridan MP, as above.

Thank you :ugh:

ZFT
29th Apr 2013, 02:35
Is this any different to anywhere else? Transferring across carriers/alliances has never been straightforward and almost always requires one to collect bags and re-check in.

Calmcavok
29th Apr 2013, 05:16
Travesty?? Inconvenient at best! Poor Jim must have some spare time on his hands.

farci
29th Apr 2013, 07:58
Way back in 2004 this thread appeared on PPRuNe:
http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/142322-interline-baggage-airline-alliances.html#post1486567

No RYR for me
29th Apr 2013, 08:42
While he is at it can he also look into EJ, RYR and all the other airlines running monopolies on certain routes and not transferring baggage let alone to competitors!! Get into the real world sunshine...

Fact: what a pathetic post... :rolleyes:

cornishsimon
29th Apr 2013, 10:37
This is cobblers

BA will interline on any airline as long as they have an interline agreement in place.

However to interline outside of oneworld you need to have your flights all on one ticket, so for example GLA-LHR on BA and LHR-DXB on Ek will be fine on one ticket but not two.

The only difference to this is other oneworld airlines where BA will interline on separate tickets.

cs

PAXboy
29th Apr 2013, 13:40
Did you have a through ticket?

(It is true that your MPs don't have much to do in the summer ...:rolleyes:)

EI-A330-300
29th Apr 2013, 14:49
While he is at it can he also look into EJ, RYR and all the other airlines running monopolies on certain routes and not transferring baggage let alone to competitors!! Get into the real world sunshine...

I will have you know that Aer Lingus will transfer baggage for connecting flights with the follwoing carriers and they compete with them as well....

Air China, Air France, Air New Zealand, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Delta Airlines, Emirates, Etihad, Finnair, Gluf Air, Iberia, Japan Airlines, JetBlue, Kenya Airways, KLM, Malaysian, Martin Air, Northwest, Quantas, Qata Airways, South African Airways, Singapore Airlines, Sir Lankan Airways, Thai Airways, United, US Airways and Virgin

Captivep
29th Apr 2013, 15:35
(A) Why on earth should BA transfer bags to an airline they don't have an interline agreement with?

(B) If they don't have access to the booking (see A above) then how on earth could they?

(C) On my newly invented scale of problem seriousness, collecting your bags and then giving them to your second, completely different airline, rates somewhere below pretty much everything...

Although I might contact Mr Sheridan to suggest he spends his time on more important things, and also BA to commiserate with them having to deal with such a ludicrous complaint about a non-existent problem.

Fairdealfrank
29th Apr 2013, 21:47
BA will do it on a through ticket, at least they did in 2011.

On separate tickets it may be difficult(?).

blaggerman
29th Apr 2013, 22:08
... Aer Lingus ...Should have gone to Specsavers!

GAZMO
29th Apr 2013, 22:23
I think a few people need to waken up and smell the coffee.

If I fly with BA via LHR yes I am checked through, but I have flown to LHR for connections with the star alliance and sky team........just give yourself a little more time for the check in at LHR.

Flying from BFS last year with EI and connecting to BA flight to LUX I was told I could not, even though I was on a BA code? Then returning from LUX no problem BA and then EI.

Two weeks later no problem going out from BFS, but on way back I was told no!!

The joys of flying.

Lets just get on with life

Joe Curry
30th Apr 2013, 15:22
Perhaps BA are annoyed that a lot of their potential GLA-LHR connecting pax
have been poached via GLA-DBX?

VickersVicount
30th Apr 2013, 16:31
...because the GLA EK route is doing spectacularly well ?

Joe Curry
30th Apr 2013, 17:43
Spectacularly well

2x daily 70% loads March 2013? As one chap commented earlier in this thread "Should have gone to Specsavers"?:)

OntimeexceptACARS
30th Apr 2013, 20:33
Joe you mean GLA-DXB. No matter what Emirates do, you'll never be happy that they dodged your beloved Edinburgh. If they were unhappy, don't you think they would have announced the end of the second daily flight, or put an A330 on one flight to reduce capacity? We've already had the discussion over on the Emirates thread about the cargo lift out of GLA.

You need stats? Latest CAA stats for February show 485t outbound and 161t inbound on scheduled services, for non UK or EU operators (only other one at GLA is United, and we all know the B757 can lift next to no freight transatlantic). For comparison, Newcastle's single Emirates service looks to have delivered 160t outbound, and 60t inbound, as there is no other non-EU scheduled operator at Newcastle. Another stat is 713t of freight on passenger aircraft, versus, erm, 38t on passenger aircraft at EDI.

Now go wind your neck in, the load factors MIGHT be something to affect GLA-LHR, but as more than one poster has told you, passenger numbers are not the whole story.

Get back on topic please, nothing to see here.

Joe Curry
30th Apr 2013, 21:20
passenger numbers are not the whole story.

Psst..want to buy something that's fallen off the back of a 773?:rolleyes:

Joking apart. I cannot understand why some parochialisms are so regal.

Especially in the light of a route that has no Scottish competition. - yet.

Getting back on topic, I believe BA interline on services EDI-LHR?

Skipness One Echo
30th Apr 2013, 22:04
Especially in the light of a route that has no Scottish competition. - yet.
Getting back on topic, I believe BA interline on services EDI-LHR?
It has Dutch one stop via AMS with KLM, French via CDG with CDG and German via FRA with LH. Except none of that matters because they're not offered on big aircraft....
BA interline with code sharing and alliance partners but won't go out of their way otherwise. The route you mean is Emirates, in which case BA are also a competitor...

spacedog
30th Apr 2013, 22:08
BA will interline bags with any carrier that has a through ticket.
As most passengers choose to purchase separate tickets on different carriers trying to achieve the lowest possible fares. Often undercutting the published through fare. BA does not interline on separate tickets, other than with its Oneworld alliance partners.