PDA

View Full Version : Pix of VDF equipment

GoneWest
27th Apr 2002, 03:41
I'm trying to put together a "PowerPoint" groundschool lecture on U.K./Europe radio telephony procedures - and would greatly appreciate some pictures of VDF equipment (as fitted in various ATC towers).

Would also appreciate some good pictures of radar screens - that show the information painted by transponder (especially light aircraft).

Anybody got any good links?? Pretty please!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Apr 2002, 07:30
I wonder how many ATC facilities still have VDF? Sadly it was withdrawn from Heathrow many years ago.

Regarding the pics of SSR labels - and the same code could just as easily be allocated to a 747-400 as a Piper Tomahawk there would be no visible difference. It's different with primary radar when, with some types, one can see a variation in a/c size - especially on the ground movement radars.

Pie Man
27th Apr 2002, 14:36
What exactly do you need, we still have VDF at work. Do you just need a picture of the indications we get, we can also get a line on the radar screen indicating the direction the transmissions are coming from. Unfortunately, I'm not in work until Thursday next week so hope you don't need it in a hurry.

CUNIM
27th Apr 2002, 15:38
If you need radar label pictures - no problem, except they are all with grey backgrounds and colour coded. There is no difference between the labels for light aircraft and the heavies. If you have a special need, I have some Macromedia Flash animations from which a still can be taken - a thought for you - have you tried to run an animation on a powerpoint slide show? It is different. Email me if you think I can help.

GoneWest
27th Apr 2002, 17:38
Director, Pie Man, Cunim...

I'm trying to show student pilots what services and facilities are available to them whilst flying (VFR) within the UK.

Their R/T practical exam also includes some calls for VDF procedures.

I would like any pix showing...how the kit is installed in the work station panel for controllers (either LATCC style or "tower" style) and how the controller can call up the various bearings...QDM, QDR, QTE....or whatever.

Anything showing, what the kit looks like, where it is in relation to the other kit, what buttons and switches it has on it (closer picture?) and what display it shows when working....or anything else sufficiently educational.

When doing my "talks" I keep getting asked about radar displays - and any worthwhile pictures of data blocks would also help...when I said "light aircraft", I was thinking of lower level cruising altitudes shown, slower groundspeeds, and anything else that a VFR target would show when receiving RAS or RIS....as opposed to a 747 departing the FIR through Liffy at FL350...or an "LL" inbound doing 350 knots.

Would also be interested in showing what radar display they would cause if they were to select 7500, 7600 or 7700 on the transponder.

A picture paints a thousand words.

Cumin...animations would be fantastic...would be VERY grateful for anything you may have...that goes for copies of video material, too.

Also, on a sadder note - would like some pictures (still or video) of the Tenerife disaster.

Hope you can help.

All Systems Go
7th May 2002, 10:19
In the centers within NATS we don't use VDF type stuff for every day controlling of big metal birds. We do, however, have 2 really rather wonderful systems that are used by the Distress and Diversion cell still based at LATCC, one on the Civil frequency and one on the Military type frequency (121.5 and 243). I have no pictures but know quite a bit about them as I worked on them for 2 years keeping the damned things working.

The 121.5 is a new fangled computer system that has very detailed OS maps and some lines that come from any and all DF stations (there are about 10 I think on the civil side and about 12 on the Military side) when the frequency is keyed. The Military side is a huge map of the British Isles, well, the London FIR actually, and has lasers that move from behind the screen to project a little red dot from the station picking up the Transmission.

I could try and find some pictures for you if your still interested.

Let me know.

Cheers.

GoneWest
7th May 2002, 11:14
Systems - I would be very interested in pix of the equipment of which you speak.

I saw the military one - maybe 15 years ago - on a day trip to LATCC...in the cellar at West Drayton. The "auto trig." was just a dream then for us civvies.

Would be a useful teaching aid to let the students know what is out there to help them.

Much appreciated.

Pie Man
8th May 2002, 07:42
Hi Again,

There is a powerpoint presentation on the IFS (Inspectorate of Flight Safety) web-site about D&D rather large 10.9Mb but may be of use. The address:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/ifs/mcasd.html

Regards

Pie Man :)

GoneWest
11th May 2002, 08:34
Pie Man - excellent resource. Thanks very much.

Have stolen three of those presentations, so far - all usable for UK groundschool done in Florida.

Don't suppose anybody knows where I can get a copy of the "script" that goes along with any of them.

Also have a few definitions to solve...what height/altitude reference is "MSD"?...it speaks of MSL and AGL, as well as MSD.

Know of any more of these presentations anywhere??

Pie Man
11th May 2002, 08:44
MSD (Minimum Separation Distance) used when military aircraft low-flying- When flying at less than 2000ft above the surface, MSD is the authorised minimum separation, in all directions, between any part of an aircraft in flight and the ground, water or any obstacle. MSD does not apply during take-off and landing or to the separation between aircraft in the same formation.

MSL - Mean Sea Level

AGL - Above Ground Level

You could e-mail IFS to see if they have the text to go with the presentations.

Bye for now

Pie Man :rolleyes: