PDA

View Full Version : ATCO career

Coke611
26th Apr 2002, 19:46
Hi guys.
I'm almost 15, I am currently saving up for some PPL lessons, and I've always wanted to be an ATCO.
Has anyone got any tips?

Cheers,
COke611

redsnail
26th Apr 2002, 20:38
Post this over in the ATCO forum. Plenty of advice there. I know 10W and No speed Restriction have helped quite a few people get their ATCO careers started.
Keep an eye out for the December Gatbash, I believe there will seminars at that one. 10W usually gives a talk about the ATCO career. He has been known to give talks at other trade day shows as well.

Lon More
26th Apr 2002, 22:30
Reddo,
The strain of standing right way up must have drained the blood from your brain, this is the ATC forum:D

redsnail
27th Apr 2002, 18:44
Lon More,
When I posted the reply it was in the Wannabe forum. It has been moved :D Cheeky things those moderators. ;)

Cuddles
27th Apr 2002, 19:10
Coke 611

I started my PPL when I was 15, and my advice, if you want your savings to go further, is to wait until you're 16 to 16 1/2, and to get a class 3 medical before you do any more flying than a trial lesson. I hung about for ages not able to progress until I was 17 (the youngest you can go solo) and consequently spent ££££s on excess hours.

The reason for the medical so early on, is the simple fact that if you fail it, you won't have blown close to £1000 on wasted flying.

I got my ppl, went to uni, did a couple of 'normal' jobs after uni, then got into NATS 1st time (Luck rather than judgement I think)

3 yrs after joining, I'm out of the college, and valid.

I'd recommend at least going to Uni before joining, just in case you need something to fall back on.

I think if I'd joined straight from school I would have found the training even harder, and may not have succeeded. (But that's just me)

Remember, you want to be an ATCO, not a pilot, and if you fail, you'll try again next year!

Hope this helps

Cudds

Lon More
27th Apr 2002, 19:57
Reddo
Apologies, it was along night.
Sneaky things, Moderators.