PDA

View Full Version : Bug Free now ?

pasir
21st Apr 2013, 18:00
Just a mundane enquiry - I havnt flown for some time but years ago after a long flight light aircraft would be covered in dead bugs - especially on wing leading edges and would often need some effort to remove the more
obstinate. Is this still the case today or are there far less to remove. This subject came up when it was pointed out that the same lack of bugs spattering cars also applies for cars and if true - any suggestions as to why the change ?

Crash one
21st Apr 2013, 18:20
Long term effects of insecticides finally coming home to roost. Never gave it much thought before but you are right. There are far less birds than there used to be when I was a kid.

Monocock
22nd Apr 2013, 06:07
What an utterly ridiculous theory. Unfounded, speculative and little short of naive.

JW411
22nd Apr 2013, 07:44
You wouldn't happen to be a farmer would you?

Flyingmac
22nd Apr 2013, 08:06
"Neonicotinamides or "neonics" (of which clothianidin is just one example) are the new weapon of choice by many large crop farmers and by some domestic gardeners, too. They affect the whole system of the plant and are highly toxic to bees and other insects feeding on the pollen and nectar."

Farmers, (and the UK government) are against the banning of this stuff.

I remember the fight they put up against the DDT ban.

Lone_Ranger
22nd Apr 2013, 08:35
Yep, the rest of Europe agrees they are dangerous , but the UK is putting big business first

...So its not exactly unfounded to make the connection the OP made, over to you Mr Farmer?

Heston
22nd Apr 2013, 08:39
...and before this thread gets too serious can I point out that it should be "fewer birds" not "less birds"?

Crash one
22nd Apr 2013, 11:16
What an utterly ridiculous theory. Unfounded, speculative and little short of naive.

Definately the response of someone with a vested interest.
Thanks , but I'll be as ridiculous as I like.

...and before this thread gets too serious can I point out that it should be "fewer birds" not "less birds"?

Will not as many do?

dont overfil
22nd Apr 2013, 11:53
Plenty of feckin' birds here. Damned pests ****ting on the aircraft and squawking 'till I'm demented with the noise. Too cold for beasties. They don't stick when they're frozen.;)

D.O.

OpenCirrus619
22nd Apr 2013, 11:56
And there was me thinking that Monsanto had finally done something beneficial - genetically modifying the bugs to add TCAS ability :E

Of course it doesn't work if you don't have a functioning transponder :{

OC619

ShyTorque
22nd Apr 2013, 14:04
any suggestions as to why the change ?

Yes, it was called winter.

mikeygd
22nd Apr 2013, 20:21
ShyTorque :D

I just wasted 10 minutes trying to understand the question at the start of this thread.