PDA

View Full Version : learning to love turbulence

localflighteast
20th Apr 2013, 00:11
Ok so the last time I was on here was when I was seeking Pre solo encouragement , which I got and helped me finally make it to the big flight on my own!

I've been steadily working away at the flying , building up some solo time and developing the skills I'm going to use in my cross country flights ! I'm having a blast

Still over the winter my old nemesis turbulence fear has raised it's ugly head.
North winds cause convective turbulence over the city leading to some less than smooth sir and a high degree of anxiety
My instructor has been helping me work through this

Anyways on a whim , during a vacation to Vegas I booked myself some time in a glider !
No escaping the updrafts there !
My instructor was an absolute riot and I had so much fun.
Can't believe we were actively seeking out the bumpy air AND I was enjoying it
Think I may be hooked :)

Tarq57
20th Apr 2013, 05:27
Before I finished reading the crux of your post, I was going to suggest: Try gliding.

Learning the likely positions of lee waves/rotors/ convective turbulence in a glider will also help you avoid - or utilize - same in a powered a/c.

sevenstrokeroll
20th Apr 2013, 13:45
one of the most important things to do to even love turbulence more is to fasten your seatbelt extra tight

if your seatbelt is even slightly loose, you will feel negative G and your body will rebel

so, if you feel your bottom securely in the seat at all times (due to a seat belt fastened tightly) you won't be feeling the negative G if you started floating in yourseat

localflighteast
20th Apr 2013, 14:20
Thanks Sevenstroke,
you were kind enough to pass that piece of advice on to me previously as well.
I've come a long way since I was the snivelling wreck who wouldn't let her instructor get out of the plane!

I just wanted to let the kind folks on here know that their advice has paid off

Thanks all

richs3
10th May 2013, 13:42
Failing gliding you could take a few flights in a microlight. I thought I had flown through some bad turbulance in C152/C172 until I flew an AX2000 one up weighting in less than 350kg. Going back to the heavier stuff it feels incredbily smooth evening in far from perfect conditions.

Just a case of getting used to it I think.

mary meagher
10th May 2013, 15:52
Always good to hear from another woman who has taken up going up!

And I congratulate you on having a go in a glider; in Canada, I believe, they have the same ethos for a gliding group as in the UK, namely, more likely a club than a private enterprise, which is usual for the States. I'm sure you can google the Canadian gliding national organisation to let you know what is near to your home....

That what updrafts are for!

Happy landings....

Mary

India Four Two
10th May 2013, 16:58
Here's the link that Mary referred to:
Soaring Association of Canada - SAC Clubs (http://www.sac.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=31#ontariozone)

I agree with her. Continue gliding. It will help with your tolerance of turbulence and teach you more about flying, airmanship and weather.