PDA

View Full Version : Propeller pitch change

code0
10th Apr 2013, 10:05
Dear all

I need a little favor to figure out how to re-rig the low pitch stopper. We operate a GA8 Australian made aircraft and there is an AD to change the low pitch angle

http://www.gippsaero.com/media/56541/sb-ga8-2012-92_2.pdf

is there any special tool to check the angle of the blade or any special inclinometer ?

I need to know the current pitch angle and also how to change ito the new setting

thanks in advance!

Code0

Turbavykas
10th Apr 2013, 13:49
But there is a reference to another document in that document which should explain how to actually do that. Maybe it also contains tools required? Probably it depends on propeller but some have special tool for angle adjustment.
Btw where are you located? Do you need pilots for this thing? :)

bcgallacher
10th Apr 2013, 18:43
You will have to refer to the aircraft Maintenance Manual to ascertain the procedure to check the blade pitch angle -you will need to know the blade station for example. The angle itself can be checked with an inclinometer,usually after leveling the aircraft.You will also need the procedure for pitch angle adjustment. If the manuals are to ATA specification all this information will be found in chapter 61.

code0
11th Apr 2013, 06:04
Thank you guys! yeah this has a three bladed Hartzell prop . . . the Hartz operators manual doesn't give any information about stations, but the book has a log entry of the original low pitch angle and the station in inches

for a quick remedy i used my iphone protractor to check the angle to the reference datum (chord as per to the logbook station) and bingo! the angle is correct.

But i need to get a proper protractor to measure this with some fine accuracy.

Thank you for your replies! Turba we are based in sri lanka and right now the full of pilots :) may be more than the taxi drivers in the whole island :D . . but i ll keep u posted is any comes up!

code 0

Gotafix2
11th Apr 2013, 17:48
Just curious; the last date for AD compliance was the 12th March and you ask the question on the 10th April, so does that mean you are not flying the aircraft?

If you are, then I guess you might as well just use the i-phone :O :ok: