PDA

View Full Version : Crp 1 calculator / app

clinique_happy
1st Apr 2013, 18:29
Does anyone know of any good apps for iPhone / ipad that will help with the calculations performed by the crp 1 calculator I'm new to the calculator and want to check I'm using the whizz wheel correctly plus

Heston
1st Apr 2013, 19:08
Please tell me that post is an April Fool?

You need to understand how the triangle of velocities works, and how the whizz wheel draws it for you. Getting the answer on an App (particularly if it shows that you're wrong) isn't going to help. Get someone to show you (instructor?) or read the instructions.

I know we dont need them when we just follow the gps :E, but a route calculated properly using the whizz wheel is a joy - especially when you understand how it works.

ps sorry I'm so grumpy - but I mean what I say

Flying Bull
1st Apr 2013, 21:23
IE6B should do the job.
Evenso you have to understand the mechanic tool, used since .....
But nowadays an IPhone fits better into the tiny pockets....
you only need the App., when the GPS quits.

md 600 driver
2nd Apr 2013, 09:12
Heston
You are being grumpy , its a perfectly valid question the poster writes he just wants to know if he is using the whiz wheel correctly
mye6b.com for details
As Flying bull answered his question I won't add more

RTN11
2nd Apr 2013, 12:34
Yeah Heston, cut this guy some slack. We were all learning once, he may well have been shown how to use the thing properly, but it's easy to tie yourself in knots at first applying the wind the wrong way or whatever, even if you do understand the underlying principle. All he's looking to do is check he's getting the right answer and using the tool correctly, if he finds he is consistently wrong he will obviously go to his instructor for help, but if he's right then he doesn't need to waste his instructors time just for a confidence boost.

AviatorRodent
2nd Apr 2013, 13:17
I recently passed my navigation exam, so I can relate

I'd recommend picking up the Air Pilots Manual Volume 2 (Navigation) and study the wind side and calculator side sections, then go through their exercises at the end. (Plan a few flights and confirm all your calculations match up with the answers).

Heston
2nd Apr 2013, 14:21
Yeah Heston, cut this guy some slack. We were all learning once, he may well have been shown how to use the thing properly, but it's easy to tie yourself in knots at first applying the wind the wrong way or whatever, even if you do understand the underlying principle. All he's looking to do is check he's getting the right answer and using the tool correctly, if he finds he is consistently wrong he will obviously go to his instructor for help, but if he's right then he doesn't need to waste his instructors time just for a confidence boost.

Fair enough, I was in a bad mood when I wrote that first reply, wasn't I? I stand by my underlying point though - its really important to understand what is going on with wind, drift angle, ground speed and so on. I'm afraid I've seen many folk come unstuck in their learning by rushing things (both in flying and elsewhere) - I meant to council against that.

(I once taught the interpretation of crystallographic xray diffraction patterns, which is really easy to do, and to picture what is going on, using a slide rule - (that shows you how long ago it was!). Well heeled students were beginning to use pocket caculators at this time and they couldn't grasp what was going on because although they could crunch the numbers, they couldn't visualise things in the way that those using the slide rule could. I think its the same with the whizz wheel vs electronics.)

RTN11
2nd Apr 2013, 15:01
Very true, and as I see it that is why you are not allowed to use an electronic calculator in the exam. By forcing students to use the slide rule, it is one way to attempt to make students learn the underlying principle, otherwise they'll have no idea how the thing works.

But at the same time, you do need to get the answers to exam question level, ie accurate to a degree or two, so I'd say double checking on an electronic calculator as practice is a good way to go.

stevelup
2nd Apr 2013, 16:36
...not allowed to use an electronic calculator in the exam...

Pretty sure that isn't the case...

Heston
2nd Apr 2013, 17:01
Stevelup is correct. You can use an electronic calculator in the nav exam. But it must be just a simple number cruncher type - you cannot use a programmable calculator or phone app, ie you cannot use something that will provide you with the answer even if you dont know how to work it out.

(CAA Standards Doc 11 para 2.7.9 refers)