PDA

View Full Version : Cold soaked wing inflight

RichPa
21st Mar 2013, 13:50
Do you have any experience with cold soaked wings inflight? Is this possible or body kinetic/fuel heating makes this improbable inflight? Is it probable during descent after a prolonged flight at high levels involving very low OATs?

Dave Gittins
21st Mar 2013, 14:07
Try reading the report into BA038 at Heathrow in Jan 2008. I think they had all the experience with cold soaked wings anybody could ever want.

British Airways Flight 38 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_38)

TURIN
21st Mar 2013, 14:54
Dave, BA038 was cold soaked FUEL.

I think the OP is referring to the effects of cold soaked fuel on aerodynamic surfaces.

Richpa,
Put a bottle of vodka in the freezer for a few hours. Take it out and see what happens. :ok:

galaxy flyer
21st Mar 2013, 15:08
The wing surface temp is about the indicated TAT, hasn't been a problem in the last 70 or so years. Fuel, read about BA 038.

blind pew
21st Mar 2013, 15:46
Not sure of the meaning of your question but...
In practical sense all wings become "cold soaked" but not a problem in flight unless you fly into icing conditions where the ice can stick on the leading edges.
Can be cleared with dynamic heating if only just below zero if not by de or anti ice systems.
On the ground can sometimes be a huge problem and often difficult to see.
Hoar frost is easy enough on the bottom of the tanks but clear ice can form on the top of the wing if the dew point is near the OAT.
This is very difficult to see through the cabin windows as it appears as a glassy covering not dissimilar to water.
One aircraft I flew had some form of tell tails fixed to the upper surface adjacent to the over wing exits.
It is also comparatively difficult to de ice.

RichPa
21st Mar 2013, 16:14
Right, I was referring to the effects of cold soaked fuel on aerodynamic surfaces, of crouse in icing conditions. As far as I one, in these conditions, frost due to cold soaked wing is an issue on ground before departing, so de-ice needed, but what about inflight considering that most anti-ice/de-ice systems are leading edge only? The frost usually spreads on the entire surface, so would it be an issue?

TURIN
21st Mar 2013, 16:19
Sublimation, perhaps. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(phase_transition))

blind pew
21st Mar 2013, 16:39
Never had any problems except on leading edges in flight.