PDA

View Full Version : Aware for iPad

Arclite01
15th Mar 2013, 12:15
I am thinking about buying this for my iPad mini

Anyone got any experience or views about how good/bad it is and any limitations you have noticed ??

Thanks

Arc

jmparis
15th Mar 2013, 22:17
I currently use Air Nav Pro and so far have found no problems with it. The price includes charts and terrain data but official CAA charts have to be purchased as add-ons through the app. I have been thinking about buying the CAA charts for Air Nav Pro but now I'm wondering if I should change to Aware instead since it is recommended by NATS. Can anybody tell me if Aware is worth the cost and as good as it claims?

wb9999
16th Mar 2013, 15:32
I would go for Runway HD (also made by Airbox), if you want CAA maps, and SkyDemon if you don't. RunwayHD and SkyDemon overlay Notams on the maps. Aware and Air Nav Pro don't show Notams, which I think is a big deal - especially with the large temporary Class D airspace in effect today over Shropshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire.

scottish_ppl
16th Mar 2013, 23:50
Aware works great on the ipad, and gives you a great representation of the CAA chart and airspace warnings before you enter them. It is also great value for money at only 25 quid for a single Chart. You can use it on the iPhone as well for the same outlay.

If you want a bit more functionality Runway HD gives you the southern chart and full Pooleys iPlates for 75 quid at the moment.

I'd certainly recommend it. :ok:

Leftofcentre2009
17th Mar 2013, 13:07
But just how reliable are any of them for real cross country flight?

I recently purchased a Bad Elf GPS device for my Ipad. Am wondering how much useful life i can expect from the battery with both pieces of hardware sharing the one lithium.

Not sure if the ciggarette lighter socket is connected up on our club aircraft.

stiknruda
17th Mar 2013, 20:50
Arc - my team use SkyDemon on mini ipads. You are v welcome to borrow mine and try it out. We mount them using RAM accoutrements! Obviously we carry paper charts but recently these haven't left our "onesies"!

SkyDemon make the best VFR flight-planning and navigation software in the world (http://www.wildcataerobatics.com/skydemon-make-the-best-vfr-flight-planning-and-navigation-software-in-the-world/)

Arclite01
19th Mar 2013, 11:36
Thanks Stik

I will drop in and have a look.

Falke u/s at moment - ETA 2 weeks so some time after that. so no immediate panic.

Arc