PDA

View Full Version : Allowing Ratings to Expire.

Gav28
9th Mar 2013, 16:49
Was hoping someone could advise me on this.

My licence [PPL (A)] expires in 2017 and my SEP & IMC ratings expire later this year, due to personal circumstances I've only flown about 2hrs in the last 18 months and I am unlikely to be able to commit to regular flying again for another couple of years.

If I let my SEP & IMC expire will it just be a case of doing some refresher training and getting checked out by an examiner?

Is there any benefit to maintaining the ratings if I won't be flying (provided I don't let the licence expire altogether)?

Thanks very much.

shortstripper
9th Mar 2013, 17:03
Letting a rating expire is no big deal for a couple of years and just needs a bit of refresher training and a skills test. A few more hoops to jump through after three years and more still after five. Not sure about licence expiring as mine doesn't.

SS

Curtis E Carr
9th Mar 2013, 18:17
A few more hoops to jump through after three years and more still after five

What additional hoops does one have to jump through after 5 years compared with those after 3?

wb9999
9th Mar 2013, 19:27
I recently revalidated my SEP rating, after a break of more than 5 years. There was one extra hoop, due to it being more than 5 years: The CAA have to issue a new rating page, and they charge for it. The examiner cannot just sign your rating rage. Other than that, everything was easy.

Curtis E Carr
9th Mar 2013, 20:59
Are you suggesting that this would not have happened after 3 years?

wb9999
9th Mar 2013, 21:12
I'm not aware of any significance of 3 years. An examiner will sign your ratings page any time up to 5 years after the rating has expired, but after 5 years the CAA must re-issue the ratings page.

Edit: The 5 year time frame was correct under JAR. Under EASA, it is now 3 years. Anything over 3 years must be sent to the CAA. 5 years now has no significance.
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_typeAndClassRatings_IN2013_012.pdf

Curtis E Carr
9th Mar 2013, 21:21
My point exactly.

wb9999
9th Mar 2013, 21:23
Curtis, 5 years was correct when I revalidated as it was just before part-FCL.

Ex Oggie
10th Mar 2013, 20:59
Anything over 3 years must be sent to the CAA. 5 years now has no significance.

And 3 years has even more significance now, as it is a 'trigger event' and if you do not have an EASA licence, you will have to pay for one of those as well. :sad:

Gav28
11th Mar 2013, 23:06
Thanks for the replies.

My plan was to let the ratings lapse and get back to regular flying within 2 years of the rating expiration.