PDA

View Full Version : FMS: what the heck is that acronym???

Koamill
7th Mar 2013, 20:02
Hi fellows.

After more or less 2 years flying the AW139, we've began to understand each other. This have made me more concious of what's going on. And here goes my question... Does anybody knows where i can find the meaning of the acronism used by the FMS, specially those used for IFR aPproaches?.

There are a few that i've discovered (i'm not very smart), like point introduced as lat/long, are named on FMS as LL and a number. Also with point defined as bearing/distance are PBD. But all those used on IFR, like CI on IF or FI on FAP, don't seem to have any meaning for me.

So, PLEASE, help me on this; i know there are lot of you that have been using the FMS for a while.

Thanks.

Bravo73
7th Mar 2013, 20:16
Have you tried reading the Honeywell FMS Pilot's Guide?

It's all in there.

tottigol
8th Mar 2013, 01:18
After more or less 2 years flying the AW139, we've began to understand each other. This have made me more concious of what's going on. And here goes my question... Does anybody knows where i can find the meaning of the acronism used by the FMS, specially those used for IFR aPproaches?.

There are a few that i've discovered (i'm not very smart), like point introduced as lat/long, are named on FMS as LL and a number. Also with point defined as bearing/distance are PBD. But all those used on IFR, like CI on IF or FI on FAP, don't seem to have any meaning for me.

You are kidding, right?

paco
8th Mar 2013, 05:13
Were you by any chance trained at Agusta?

Phil

Adroight
8th Mar 2013, 06:58
The training there may be lacking Paco but that is no excuse for not doing one's homework.

belly tank
8th Mar 2013, 09:00
This is a wind up right?:ugh: I'm with Tottigol here.

Modtro
8th Mar 2013, 10:28
Not the way to go. Wonder what training and reference material he's been given.

Check your PM Koamill.

Peter3127
8th Mar 2013, 10:38
I Googled "Avionics FMS" and got this ....

Flight Management Systems - Avionics & Electronics - Honeywell Aerospace (http://www.honeywell.com/sites/aero/Flight_Management_Systems.htm)

Could be a clue or two ... dunno.

Aesir
8th Mar 2013, 11:13
I doubt Mr. Koamill will ever ask a question again on this forum with replies like these.

However for those of us that do not have access to the FMS flight manuals for the 139 it would be very interesting to know what the meaning of the following acronyms is?

Anyone care to actually answer the man?

But all those used on IFR, like CI on IF or FI on FAP, don't seem to have any meaning for me.

Bravo73
8th Mar 2013, 11:52
I doubt Mr. Koamill will ever ask a question again on this forum with replies like these.

To be fair, it is a question that he should really be asking of his training department, rather than an anonymous internet forum. Who's to say that the answers that he might get from here are actually correct...?

But judging by the types that he flies and his location, I can hazard a guess about which company he works for. So he might not actually have a worthwhile training department that he can turn to...

However for those of us that do not have access to the FMS flight manuals for the 139 it would be very interesting to know what the meaning of the following acronyms is?

If you are desperate to know, send me a nice PM with your email address and I'll see if I can dig out a copy of the manual.

Anyone care to actually answer the man?

See my first point above. :E

212man
8th Mar 2013, 11:54
Rather than just answer the two examples given - which I can as I have a working knowledge of ARINC 424 conventions - I tried to find something useful. Try reading this: http://www.keilir.net/static/files/Flugakademian/PDF/rnavmanual-kka.pdf Page 80 onwards answers the two specific queries, plus many more, and the whole document will probably teach you a lot.

Our FMS manual (UNS-1 ESp) would not answer these queries, so I'm not sure if the Honeywell one would (though I'll find out soon!)

What complicates it further is that these terms are used as ARINC 424 Leg Types (Course to a Fix and Course to Intercept) but are not the same.

paco
8th Mar 2013, 12:43
Adroight - I wasn't implying that their training was not up to scratch but rather if anyone had a library they would. It was early in the morning :)

But you're right - there's no excuse for not doing your homework (duty of care to passengers and all that), but a training captain should have picked it up by now as well.

phil

Milo C
8th Mar 2013, 15:01
I'm with Bravo73.

Koamill
8th Mar 2013, 16:55
Hi everybody, this message was a nice and funny way to ask if anybody had a honeywell manula where i can find this acronism and what's their meaning... Anyway, i'll send you my mail Bravo.

Thankss Mrs knowitalls!!!!

212man
8th Mar 2013, 17:03
Read my link - it explains what you need and more (which is why I posted it and not just answered the specific two queries.) I actually doubt the OEM FMS manual will have that level of detail, but it may (My FMS manual doesn't.)

Koamill
8th Mar 2013, 17:19
Yes 212man,

that's exactly what i was trying to find... None of this info is in any of the manuals that i have, regardless people tell me to look at fms user guide. Much thanks body.

Brilliant Stuff
10th Mar 2013, 11:00
In my experience not every training department is easily approachable.