PDA

View Full Version : Skydemon For IPad.

aviatorEGHH
3rd Mar 2013, 10:13
Hi There,

Been looking into getting Skydemon for my IPad for a while now. I have just got the 30 day trial which allows you to do all the same as the paid versoj , but only for 30 days!

Before I go and spend £180 on it, has anyone got any thoughts about it? Tips or suggestions?

Thanks,

AviatorEGHH.

Hamish 123
3rd Mar 2013, 11:04
In a word, brilliant. And very good value for money. Superb tool.

aviatorEGHH
3rd Mar 2013, 11:09
Thanks, that seems to be the general idea.... I've been fiddling around with the trial all morning!

AviatorEGHH

piperarcher
3rd Mar 2013, 12:08
A great product, and worth the money in my opinion. My only tip is make sure you fully understand all of the navigation and planning options so they coincide with your limits and safety aspects and you know what you will, or wont get a warning about when in the air.

False Capture
3rd Mar 2013, 14:04
I've just bought it for our iPad Mini - it's fantastic. Brilliant display and so user friendly. Well worth getting Pooleys plates for it as well. I'm really impressed.
:ok:

24Carrot
3rd Mar 2013, 14:14
Shame it's not on android.

The website says there won't be one until "we are experiencing a certain level of demand", though how they measure the demand for a non-existent product is beyond me.

Sky Demon does sound great, but I would rather have all my teeth pulled than buy another Apple product.

wb9999
3rd Mar 2013, 15:41
fIt's fantastic and great value for the price.

24Carrot, an Android version is in development. SkyDemon posted some pics on their website recently and added a feature comparison table last week for the different platforms.

24Carrot
3rd Mar 2013, 15:59
Excellent news! Forgive me if I don't hold my breath though...
I will explore the website a bit more.

F4TCT
3rd Mar 2013, 16:02
Excellent software.

I was using it on a crappy old chinese gps until the ipad version came out - was excellent then, even better on ipad now.

The SD team are now working on a an android version of the software.

Dan

peterh337
3rd Mar 2013, 16:55
It's a product which you have to really thoroughly understand before flying with it, due to the potential for confusion.

sharpend
3rd Mar 2013, 17:48
You only get 30 minutes flight if you are using the trial version. I also don't think you get all the features.

However, I agree with all, it is brilliant.

aviatorEGHH
3rd Mar 2013, 19:02
#sharpend

Yeah, You only get 30 minutes, but im only using it to see if it is good, which it is! Hopefully I can buy the proper thing pretty soon....

Cheers All,

AviatorEGHH.

Oldpilot55
3rd Mar 2013, 19:14
I have it on my ipad mini, indeed it is the only reason I bought a mini. I have a remote Dual GPS which works a treat. SD is great and easy to use. Thoroughly recommended, all your wx, notams and flight logs in one place. Android version should be coming soon, weeks not months away.
Chart coverage includes most of Europe (I haven't checked exactly) but I have used it for planning to France and Germany but it covers way more than that.

flybymike
3rd Mar 2013, 22:33
Peter, which aspects do you find potentially confusing?

toptobottom
3rd Mar 2013, 22:41
It's an outstanding product, backed up with excellent support and a conscientious and receptive development team - don't hesitate (and let me 'introduce' you, as I only need one more for free membership this year :E).

Seriously, don't bother looking at the rest; SD just gets better and better :ok:

peterh337
4th Mar 2013, 09:23
which aspects do you find potentially confusing?

See here (http://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/478-skydemon-auto-declutter-of-airspace-depictions).

Next time I fly with that pilot (I don't have SD myself) I will get a video of the screen :)

A and C
4th Mar 2013, 10:01
I find the whole concept very good, I don't tend to use the GPS in the air but the PAX seem to like the moving map that works just fine at SEP speeds.

One of the reasons that I don't use it in the air as a moving map is that it encourages far too much time with the head in the cockpit and not enough time looking out for the other SD users who are headsdown watching the screen.

Zio Nick
4th Mar 2013, 12:10
I noticed some minor functions are not available for Android in the comparison chart... VFR plan filing is not available...:uhoh: