PDA

View Full Version : PPL courses ........ FREE!

Flying Lawyer
26th Feb 2013, 22:38
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Aviation/GAPANbanner_600.jpg

The aim of our scholarships programme is to assist the successful individual, who might otherwise not have the necessary resources, to achieve their Licence.

The scholarships cover all aspects of training up to issue of a PPL.
They provide up to 45 hours flying and can take a candidate with little or no experience to obtaining a PPL during the course of the summer. Alternatively, they can "finish off" someone who is already partially trained.

The scholarships are awarded entirely on merit as evidenced on the completed application form and as assessed by a selection committee appointed by the Guild.

PPL Scholarships

The criteria for successful applications include:
ability to demonstrate a serious ambition and ability to pursue an aviation related career
availability to undertake and complete the Scholarship during summer 2013
educational achievements, demonstrable knowledge and/or experience in science, mathematics or other aviation related subjects
ability to satisfy the relevant medical standard to enable issue of a Class 2 Medical Certificate issued in the UK in accordance with Part-Med and any relevant pre-course entry requirements
age at least 17 on 1st June 2013

The Guild will expect training to be carried out at a Flying School approved by the Guild, commencing during June 2013 and to be completed by no later than the 4th October 2013.
Candidates should be aware that this demands a high level of commitment during the summer months and the Guild will expect the recipient to meet this commitment.

Awards are made by a Selection Committee appointed by the Guild.
Candidates who are short-listed for a scholarship are required to attend an interview at the Guild Office in London on either the 29th or 30th April. (Alternative dates cannot be arranged.)
The interview process includes short tests to help ascertain aptitude and ability.

For more information and a downloadable Application form click the Guild badge ............... https://www.gapan.org/template/theme/gapan/img/im-guild-crest.gif (https://www.gapan.org/)
and select 'Career Matters'.

Closing date for Applications: 13 March 2013

Interviews in London: 29 & 30 April 2013

Good Luck. :ok:

Tudor Owen

Flyaways
27th Feb 2013, 11:09
Sounds great!

Is it unlikely that someone who didn't take maths and science for A Level will get a place?

Plus how many are available?

AOJM
28th Feb 2013, 23:35
The average joe has no hope...based on bitter experience. No harm in applying though, they have communicated very well in the past.

Flying Lawyer
1st Mar 2013, 06:45
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/005f051-crop.jpg

From left to right:

Sebastian Krzyzewski (PPL), Megan Foley (PPL), Will Hardy (PPL), Duncan MacDonald (FI), Gary Hutchinson (FI), Captain Wally Epton (Immediate Past Master), Mark Green (FI), Tobias Radke (Gliding), Cameron Brown (JOC), Louise Iveson (JOC), Thomas Dean (Groundschool), Dean Foulds (IR Bursary).

Unable to be present:
Thomas Atkinson (IR Bursary)
Thomas Baldock (PPL)
Antony Ellams (MEI Instructor Bursary)
Connor Richardson (Gliding)
Sebastian Krzyzewski also won the Landymore Trophy for best PPL Scholar.

Is it unlikely that someone who didn't take maths and science for A Level will get a place? I don't know. Although actively involved in the Guild, I am not directly involved in the scholarships programme.

Plus how many are available?I can't remember.

The average joe has no hope It depends what you mean by 'average'.
If you enter a competition then you hope there's something about your application that makes you stand out from the 'average' candidates.

FL

culloden
1st Mar 2013, 07:00
This is an excellent scheme. Why do people continually play down such schemes.
Clearly like all forms of sponsorship there must be an element of competition.
I implore all who have a serious interest in flying to apply.

I applied for such a scheme many, many years ago and was selected , for 30 hours of PPL instruction, and have enjoyed every day of my flying career to date.

FLYING IS FUN.

If you don't apply you will never know.
DO IT NOW.

AOJM
1st Mar 2013, 10:09
The scheme is fantastic and it has been around for many years and hopefully many more to come! As FL said it's a competition and you would hope to have the ability to stand out over other candidates.

I know three past winners, one of the last ones I was with last week and no matter how desperate I am for assistance I just haven't had any opportunity to do anything as amazing as them or been able to do so well in my education.

Flyaways
1st Mar 2013, 11:19
So... what kind of things would make me stand out? ;)

Prop swinger
1st Mar 2013, 11:34
Wearing a skirt?

Contact Approach
1st Mar 2013, 11:38
The lack of ambition shown by some is very disappointing.

The500man
1st Mar 2013, 12:29
Ambitious people tend to do things for themselves and in their own way. The people applying for this scheme are probably the one's with an abundance of confidence that have had good schooling and don't mind being judged by strangers.

Flyaways
1st Mar 2013, 13:25
Wearing a skirt?

Great idea! Then if I don't get picked I can say they were discriminating :sad:

Whirlybird
1st Mar 2013, 13:41
I don't know about this particular scholarship, but I do know that some similar ones are under-subscribed, either because people don't know about them or because too many think it's not worth bothering as they won't get it. Remember, you gotta be in it to win it! I wish I'd known about this when I was starting out.

youngskywalker
1st Mar 2013, 13:46
I tried twice over the years, my first application for a scholarship failed but on my 2nd attempt I was successful and was awarded a bursary. Also worth noting that I have crap academic credentials behind me! The bursary was enough to pay for a night rating.

Edited to say: oops just realised this is for GAPAN, my award was from the Air League. Still worth applying though.

Flying Lawyer
1st Mar 2013, 13:55
Ambitious people tend to do things for themselves and in their own way. Ambitious people take every opportunity which may help them achieve their goal.
Only extremely rich ambitious people would chose to pay their own way and ignore the possibility of obtaining financial assistance.

The people applying for this scheme are probably the one's with an abundance of confidence that have had good schooling and don't mind being judged by strangers. Most achievements in life involve being judged by strangers at some stage.

What follows is my understanding of the selection process for the PPL scholarships, based upon conversations in recent years with people who were.
NB: I am not, and never have been, involved in it.

Motivation & application
eg:
Cadets/UAS
Sporting achievements
Community service
Duke of Edinburgh Award involvement
Motivation
Part-time occupations, if any. eg In aviation? Hangar rat?)
Flying experience, if any.
Pilot aptitude-testing experience, if any.
NB: These are just examples. It is not meant to be an exhaustive list.

Educational achievements
Academic performance is a factor, but only one factor. Achievement at various levels counts equally. ie A youngster with impressive GCSEs is not at a disadvantage against an older applicant who may by then have a Degree. There is a limit to the 'points' which a candidate can score under this heading.

Career aspirations
Whilst the Guild is always interested in long-term career aspirations, awards are by no means restricted to those who profess a burning ambition be a professional pilot.
Of equal interest are those candidates who work/intend to work in fields in some way related to aviation, and those who work/intend to work in entirely unconnected occupations but (for example) would like the opportunity to become a flying instructor in due course.

Take great care over your written application. It's an important part of the process.

FL

Flyaways
1st Mar 2013, 14:12
I don't know about this particular scholarship, but I do know that some similar ones are under-subscribed, either because people don't know about them or because too many think it's not worth bothering as they won't get it. Remember, you gotta be in it to win it! I wish I'd known about this when I was starting out.

Do you know of any 'under-subscribed' ones that are open at the moment? :E

I tried twice over the years, my first application for a scholarship failed but on my 2nd attempt I was successful and was awarded a bursary. Also worth noting that I have crap academic credentials behind me! The bursary was enough to pay for a night rating.
Do you have a lot of non academic achievements?

pfeinstein
1st Mar 2013, 14:50
Wow, sounds like a great opportunity but it must be very competitive. No harm in trying, though!

777edr777
1st Mar 2013, 15:49
These are great opportunities; I won a scholarship a couple of weeks ago with the LAA, and although this is GAPAN, they said the reason I got was my enthusiasm and how I was helping out and generally hanging around at my local airfield - you don't have to be special, just motivated and keen!

Whirlybird
2nd Mar 2013, 17:15
Flyaways, if they were still open I wouldn't have heard about them, now would I? How can anyone know if a scholarship has been undersubscribed until after the closing date?

Flyaways
2nd Mar 2013, 21:24
You may have inside information :ok: You could know someone who knows someone who is running a scheme that is under subscribed, or you could know some schemes that have been under subscribed for previous years :)

Whirlybird
3rd Mar 2013, 20:23
True....but I don't, sorry. Just hearsay, and I don't remember any details.

thing
3rd Mar 2013, 20:40
Flyaways:

1. Don't worry about academic achievement, the fact that you can string words together and post on here means you have enough brains to be a pilot.

2. Go for it. I suffered from under confidence as a youngster and I probably wasted about 15 years of my life before I reached the eureka moment of 'Hey, if he can do it so can I, and I can do it better.' Mind you as a downside I most certainly don't suffer fools gladly now....:)

Flyaways
4th Mar 2013, 15:52
Flyaways:

1. Don't worry about academic achievement, the fact that you can string words together and post on here means you have enough brains to be a pilot.

2. Go for it. I suffered from under confidence as a youngster and I probably wasted about 15 years of my life before I reached the eureka moment of 'Hey, if he can do it so can I, and I can do it better.' Mind you as a downside I most certainly don't suffer fools gladly now....

Academic achievement doesn't worry me. My grades are more than good enough (not to blow my own trumpet!) so that doesn't worry me.

It's my non academic achievements... somewhat non existent!!

& Yeah, I'm just starting to realise as I am on the last year of college that i'm not as confident and independent as I thought.:O

Conor_Sproat
4th Mar 2013, 21:49
This is a good opportunity for those who have the aspirations but not the essential funds! But I was wondering if I would still be able to apply for this, as I am very close to attaining NPPL.

Worth a shot

Flying Lawyer
9th Mar 2013, 11:18

Only 4 days to go!

Applications close Wednesday 13th March

FL

gordonquinn
11th Mar 2013, 10:08
Does anyone know of the number of applications received so far?

thebeast91
11th Mar 2013, 23:42
gordonquinn, I don't know how anyone could find this out, but isn't it a better idea to imagine there are 50000 applications, as it might make you work that little bit harder, and seem that little bit more keen? That's how I'm looking at it...

gordonquinn
12th Mar 2013, 09:07
A couple years ago I'm sure they released figures when approaching the deadline date.

Of course if I can't find out then assume there are loads but I think it is still useful to know the rough number of applicants, whether its a flying scholarship or a part time job you're going for, surely you can understand that?

Whirlybird
17th Mar 2013, 10:03
I can't understand that. I've been beaten to jobs by just one very good person, and won prizes when there were loads of entrants. It doesn't tell you a thing.

How do I get down
26th Mar 2013, 10:00
Does anyone know when we're likely to hear back from them? I'm checking everyday!

gordonquinn
26th Mar 2013, 12:45
I was told mid April

gordonquinn
8th Apr 2013, 09:33
Nothing yet for me mate, I'm the same, refresh, refresh, refresh ...

Good luck to all

tobster911
8th Apr 2013, 15:25
I've been told we'll receive correspondence by the end of this week, fingers crossed for all.

Flying Lawyer
9th Apr 2013, 06:26
As I understand it, applicants will be notified in mid April whether they have been short-listed for a scholarship and, if so, will be required to attend an interview on either the 29th or 30th April.

Tudor Owen

MattSmolinski
12th Apr 2013, 20:19
Did anyone get the interview?

MattSmolinski
12th Apr 2013, 21:06
Have you looked on their website? There is some news since 13:15pm

AOJM
17th Apr 2013, 23:13
Unlucky me...again. Let's hope that all of the next lot actually use their opportunity.

Flying Lawyer
14th Jul 2013, 19:52
The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators (http://www.gapan.org) is pleased to announce the names of the recipients of the 2013 Flying Scholarships.

Following an exacting selection process over recent months, a total of three Instructor Scholarships, four Private Pilot Licence scholarships, and five Gliding Scholarships have been awarded.

The scholarships cover all direct training and examination costs.

Young pilots are to the fore in the awards, with an average age of PPL and Gliding Scholarship recipients of under 19 years.

Flight Instructor Certificate (Fixed Wing) Scholarships
There were 50 applications for the three Scholarships.

The Swire Scholarship (generously sponsored by one of the Swire charities) has been awarded to David Marshall who will train for his Flight Instructor Rating at Tayside Aviation, where he has already passed his PPL and CPL certificates. David has been pursuing his ambition to become a flying instructor for over six years and feels it is an occupation in which he can not only fly but also impart his skills and knowledge to other like-minded people. The scholarship will help him make the final leap after many years of dedication and financial restraint to finally achieve his aspiration.

The Diamond Jubilee Scholarship was first awarded in 2004 when the Guild celebrated its 75th Anniversary. It is sponsored by the Air Safety Trust, the second charitable arm of the Guild with a remit to invest in Air Safety and as part of that, underwrites instructional training along with supporting projects pertaining to flight safety. The 2013 Scholarship has been awarded this year to Paul Thomason who teaches physics at a school on Shetland. For as long as he can remember he has held a desire to combine the fields of piloting and education, and pass on his passion for flying to others. Paul will train at Tayside Aviation in Perthshire.

The Norman Motley Scholarship is the oldest Guild Scholarship. It was first awarded in 1981 and funded by the Guild Benevolent Fund. The 2013 Scholarship has been awarded to Clare Tector, who in 2010 as an impeccunious Shuttleworth Trust volunteer, benefited from a de Havilland Moth Club flying bursary to convert onto vintage types and gain air display flying experience. She is now one of the team of volunteer pilots regularly flying the Shuttleworth Collection’s vintage types. This scholarship will allow Clare to become a flying instructor, allowing her to share her obvious passion for flying with others and encourage aspiring pilots to achieve their goals. Clare will train at Central Flight Training, Tatenhill Airfield in Staffordshire.

Private Pilot Licence Scholarships
There were nearly 400 applicants for the four places.

The Cadogan Scholarship (sponsored by the Cadogan Charitable Trust) has been awarded to Lewis Alderson, who lives in the north west of England and is training at Westair, based at Blackpool Airport. Aged 18, Lewis is studying for an HNC in Aeronautical Engineering at Blackpool & the Fylde College. He is a Flight Staff Cadet at 642 Volunteer Gliding Squadron, RAF Linton on Ouse and a B2 qualified Gliding Instructor; the youngest person to achieve this level.

Roger Cottee is the recipient of the Grayburn Scholarship (generously sponsored by Past Master of the Guild, Mike Grayburn). Roger, who is 21, has recently taken his finals at Exeter University where he has been studying Physics. He started gliding at 14 which enhanced his desire to become a commercial pilot. He is training at Clacton Aero Club and hopes that the scholarship will enable him in the future to fly the tug aircraft at Rattlesden Gliding Club and to find a full time flying position.

The Guild PPL Scholarship is funded by the Guild of Air Pilots Trust, which works to fund all manner of support for education within aviation. This year’s Scholarship has been awarded to James Johnston, who hopes the completion of his PPL certificate will help fulfill his dream of becoming a commercial pilot, which began over a decade ago. Aged 19, James is training at Cotswold Aero Club at Gloucestershire Airport.

The Air Safety Trust Scholarship has been awarded to James Mulvaney, 20, who is currently studying at the University of Southampton for a degree in Acoustic Engineering. He is a member of the Southampton University Air Squadron where he is responsible for core military training and is a member of the Executive Committee. His ambition is to become a Type Rating Examiner and to use his experience to encourage others into aviation. James will train with Synergy Aviation at Fairoaks in Surrey

Gliding Scholarships
There were more than 60 applicants for the five Gliding Scholarships awarded by the Guild Young Members (GYM) group, which is made up of members under the age of 35. The Gliding Scholarship for this year is no longer a residential course, but was open to anyone over the age of 14 to fly at a school of their choice (subject of Guild approval) to first solo standard.

Peter Amoo is the youngest Guild scholarship winner this year. A member of the Air Training Corps, 16 year-old Peter lives in South London and has just finished his GCSEs and next term he will be starting at Christ’s Hospital School. His ambition is to become a professional pilot and he hopes that the skills learned in his gliding scholarship will be beneficial when he starts powered flying trainingin the future. He will be training at Booker Gliding Club at High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire.

Helen Cooney, 18, who is an air cadet in Congleton, has just finished her A Levels. She hopes that her scholarship will enable her to learn more about aviation and gain a better understanding of the principles of flight, which she can then carry forward towards a potential career in the RAF after university. She will be taking her course at London Gliding Club at Dunstable, Bedfordshire.

Calum Galloway, 17, has just finished his A Levels. He is fully committed to a career as a pilot and will use the gliding scholarship as a stepping stone to this goal. A keen golfer, he has gained his Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award and volunteers at his local scout group. Calum is undertaking his training at Lasham Gliding Club in Hampshire.

Jordan Goodwin, Cadet of the Year 2013 at the 230 (Congleton) Squadron Air Cadets, is currently studying for his A Levels and has taken his Bronze and Silver Duke of Edinburgh awards. The 17 year-old’s goal is to join the RAF as a pilot and he hopes the gliding course at London Gliding Club at Dunstable will help him with his ambitions.

John Groves has recently completed a degree in Archaeology at University College London. He is a volunteer at RAF Hendon where he cleans aircraft and helps guide the public, and is a member of the UCL Gliding Club. Aged 20, his ultimate aim is to become a commercial pilot. He hopes his course at Midland Gliding Club at Long Mynd in Shropshire will enable him to make his first solo.

Congratulations to the successful candidates. :ok:

Tudor Owen

Flying Lawyer
15th Jul 2013, 21:21
I don't know the precise figures, but it's not unusual for applicants who didn't win a scholarship at their first attempt to try again and succeed.

If you didn't make it through to the interview stage, or were interviewed and not selected, ask yourself what you could do to improve your chances next time.

FL