PDA

View Full Version : Training in ATO of another country

Zonkor
25th Feb 2013, 19:55
I'm wondering what's the exact definition of ATO (approved training organization).

Nothing I've seen so far in Part-FCL suggests that flight training has to take place in an organization registered with Competent Authority's Membership State. For instance, in the UK CAA case a CAA-registered FTO (flight training organization), be it within or outside the UK (e.g., Florida).

So, does Part-FCL foresee that holders of a Part-FCL license issued by one Membership State may obtain training in an ATO of another Membership State?

Note that in this case the FTO would not directly be an ATO of the license-issuing Membership State, but of another Membership State. Or do all Membership States mututally approve their ATOs (an ATO in a Membership Country is automatically also an ATO in all other Membership Countries)?

Also, under what circumstances can check rides be taken by examiners from other Membership States?

Time for lawyers or common sense? Too high hopes for EU-harmonization in any case, I guess ...

Best,

George

Zonkor
27th Feb 2013, 11:50
Called the CAA. The lady wasn't really able to answer the question as expected. He's what I found out so far:

At least in special cases training and examination in another Membership State's ATO is allowed by the CAA. One example is the mountain rating, which is not offered in the UK, for the lack of mountains I guess. ;-)

Furthermore, it is possible to take a skill test under Part-FCL for the CAA with an examiner of another Membership State (search for "examiner briefing" on the CAA website).

S-Works
27th Feb 2013, 12:21
You can train in the ATO of any member state. If the Examiner is not a UK Examiner then they must do the Overseas Examiner Approval briefing on the CAA website.

We are an ATO and are training people from all over Europe.