PDA

View Full Version : Lanzarote (Arrecife)

PA38
22nd Apr 2002, 17:18
I have just had a much needed week off in Lanzarote, and whilst watching the aircraft on downwind/finals (sad I know) I noticed some did very short downwind legs 2 miles (righthand) and the (lefthand) where about 10 miles.
I assume this was visual and ILS, but the visual ones where dramatic :D
Does anyone know if my guess was correct, and if there is approach plates for there on the web?

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
22nd Apr 2002, 20:50
The left handers were on the procedure which descends from 5000 outbound for about ten miles or so(From memory)before turning inbound to establish on the ILS at platform altitude of about 2200(again from memory).The right handers were on the visual .The difference in circuit size is due to often being cleared to position visually into the circuit but having to maintain 4000 feet untill downwind to allow a departure .Once clear of traffic the choice is yours-extend outbound to lose the extra altitude our dangle everything and go for the "shuttle circuit"(more fun but arguably more "dramatic" for the punters).
Hope that clears it up!:cool:

Gaza
22nd Apr 2002, 21:38
A few years ago while on holiday I managed to charter a C172 for an hour or so. The flying was excellent and the views stunning. Trying to get back in was an absolute pig. It was changeover day and there were lots of arrivals and departures. We continually had to hold and break-off our approach. Just when we thought we would get in another a/c would be handed over. We were finally cleared for approach and told to keep our speed up. When we were about 4 miles out an Air2000 757 was handed over to approach/tower. The controller asked him to slow as much as possible and he kept asking us both for our DME. He was getting closer and closer and we fully expected to be told to break-off our approach. Incredibly the controller told the 757 to make a 360deg orbit to allow us to land!! The 757 Capt was NOT amused. God knows what the passengers thought was happening when the plane suddently banked about 2000ft above the sea!

I think we crossed the threshold at about 120kt and pulled the power right back for a flapless landing. By the time we had slowed sufficiently we were about halfway down the runway!

Georgeablelovehowindia
22nd Apr 2002, 23:04
What is not seen by the spectators on the beach is the seldom done, but jolly sporting offset VOR/DME approach to 22! This takes you between a couple of volcanic peaks and ends up in a Stuka dive plunge down to the downsloping runway, due to the steeply rising terrain to the North of the airfield. Bung in the ever-present howling crosswind (good for the windsurfers though) plus the fact that you're probably tanked up with fuel for the return and you you find yourself "Living in interesting times" as the ancient Chinese curse puts it!

Wycombe
23rd Apr 2002, 07:48
..yep, did the southerly offset as pax in a CC L1011 a couple of years back, those volcanoes do look close, quite spectacular

Also understand that southerly arrivals/northerly deps not allowed at night due terrain, which can slow things down a bit on a Thursday! (once sat at the hold for 20 mins awaiting the arrivals before we could blast off on the reciprocal!)

Hagbard the Amateur
23rd Apr 2002, 10:38
I've done the Arrecife landing five times as pax and every time, the sudden sharp bank in from the ocean caused me to hold my breath. Last time I was almost expecting a wingtip to skim the water. Great fun, great display of flying skills and a great island.