PDA

View Full Version : RAF Ops Bloke to Canada ?

FOMere2eternity
22nd Apr 2002, 15:16
Hi everyone

I'm a Flight Ops Manager with the RAF and have completed 15yrs service. I would like to move to Canada in the next few years and would like to arm myself with the goods to get in.

Firstly, has anyone done similar ?

Secondly, any top tips on how to smooth the way to Canada ?
Can I do the TC course by correspondence ? What's the market like for Ops people ? Anyone know the procedure
:confused:

Any tips greatfully received...

Longtimer
29th Apr 2002, 02:37
New AirCanada wing is advertising the following vacancies that may be of interest.
http://www.4321zip.com/en/application/jobs.html#management

System Operation Centre (SOC) Duty Managers
Acts as final authority on customer service handling, aircraft utilization and fleet planning during irregular operations. Responsible for coordinating and developing viable recovery plans, as well as ensuring that a suitable plan is reached and acted upon to regain the established operational plan.

Crew Schedulers
Provides effective day-of-flight management and scheduling of flight crews.

prang one
29th Apr 2002, 19:36
Hi Ops Bloke,

I came over to Canada after flying in the RAF just over 3 years ago.
The way i did it was to get myself hitched to a Canadian bird. Banged out after 8 months but it got me over here for good !!!!
I dont advise this method but it works.

There are 2 ways you can stay here get a Company to sponsor you. Not as impossible as it sounds in some fields of work.

OR

Sponsor yourself. You will need :
Plenty of hard cash to meet a requirment to support yourself with out job for 12 months.
A University Degree (new Change)
Have worked in a job for a minimum of 12 months in the field that you think Canada needs you for.
This works on a points system . The more points you get the higher your chance of getting in.There maybe a new change that Mil service does not count for the 12 month stuff.

Information is very hard to get from the Canadian Auth but there is a web site with the points stuff on it and forms.

If you need any more info drop me an email

James

PS if you have Canadian relatives there are other options

FOMere2eternity
2nd May 2002, 19:43
Hi James
Thanks for the info. I did the Canadian bird thing, but got it the wrong way around - banged out before immigration ! Oh well.

From what I can gather the Nav Canada sketch is well within the capabilities and job spec of a RAF Ops bloke, but getting through the door is the biggest snag. Based on the qualies the company haven't given me, I'm considering simply re-trading, but we'll see.

I appreciate the e-mail help offer but haven't really got any further questions at this stage. Mother's sis is Canadian now inc. 2 nieces, but that's not a big help as I haven't spoken to any of em for 20ish years !

Anyway, thanks for the info. You definately did the right thing !!