PDA

View Full Version : 737 FMC Hidden Page (Nearest Airport)

Shockwave83
20th Feb 2013, 01:06
Hi Guys,

Recently bought a copy of the excellent 737 MRG by Pat Boone. In the book it makes reference to the hidden nearest airport page in the FMC with the following instructions on how to access it:

First set both CDUs to RTE then OFFSET
Secondly in one of the CDUs now type of OFFSET of 'L1.0'
Finally simultaneously click ERASE on both CDUs at the same time and the page should appear.
Anyway I tried this the other day during a long flight and couldn't seem to get it to work. Does anyone know if I've missed a step? or am not doing it correctly? or if this particular trick has now been found out and is no longer workable?

Not sure if it's important but the aircraft in question I tried this on was a B737-500 with U10.7 software installed.

Would be a 'nice to have' function on my future flights from now on if I could get this feature to work so anyones help would be much appreciated

nitpicker330
20th Feb 2013, 06:09
That's a lot of button pushing just to see the nearest Airport!! :D

Just select Airport on your EFIS and look at the Map. :ok:

porch monkey
20th Feb 2013, 06:13
It's not hidden, I would suggest your company hasn't paid for it. It is accessible on our fmc's as an option straight off the route page. Nothing hidden about it.

Denti
20th Feb 2013, 06:24
Indeed, it might have been hidden in older versions of the FMC (10.5 or earlier), however it has been available as an option for quite some time.

TopBunk
20th Feb 2013, 06:26
'Twas available in 1991 on whatever FMS BA Specified when the B737-400's were delivered.

BOAC
20th Feb 2013, 07:19
That's a lot of button pushing just to see the nearest Airport!! :D

Just select Airport on your EFIS and look at the Map. - I take it you have not used this function on an FMS? It provides a lot of useful information to aid with decision making which simply looking at a map display (to tell you what you should know anyway!) does not.

Pontius
20th Feb 2013, 07:25
My brain hurts, so I can't remember. Does the 737 not have an ALTN page, available at the main index?

Shockwave83
20th Feb 2013, 08:07
The reason I can't currently access it is because as porch monkey suggested my company hasn't paid for it. The technique I described in my original post is supposed to be a cheeky way of accessing it in this case.

Denti
20th Feb 2013, 13:55
@Pontius, it has, however from the route page 1. But it seems to be an option which isn't surprising considering it's boeing we're talking about. So i bet quite a few companies didn't pay for it and won't have it available.

@SW83, i used that method back in 10.5 and it worked nicely, however wasn't able once we switched to 10.7. Just thought that Boeing closed that particular loophole.

ImbracableCrunk
20th Feb 2013, 15:58
It's nice to have whilst doing ETOPS.

Take the yoke in cruise and try this:

↑↑↓↓←→←→

and then hit the A/P buttons

B then A.

;)

7Q Off
20th Feb 2013, 16:07
Just dont do Ctr + Alt + delete in flight. :ugh:

Shockwave83
20th Feb 2013, 17:23
Everyone's a bloody comedian on this site! :O

Thanks for assistance I guess it's just a function I'll have to struggle on without!

DozyWannabe
20th Feb 2013, 19:43
Take the yoke in cruise and try this:
↑↑↓↓←→←→

and then hit the A/P buttons

B then A.

Are you sure? I thought that was the "infinite fuel" cheat!

Checkboard
20th Feb 2013, 20:05
Asked and answered in 2008 :{

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/337384-fmc-u10-7-lost-pages.html

Shockwave83
20th Feb 2013, 21:32
Thanks for the info! Seems ridiculous that potentially useful information is inaccessible unless a fee is paid!

nitpicker330
21st Feb 2013, 04:34
BOAC:- yes mate thanks, the Bus I fly has that page and so does the 777 I spent 5,000 hours on.......:ok:

BOAC
21st Feb 2013, 09:05
NP - in that case, apologies - it was not obvious in your comments in post#2.

root
21st Feb 2013, 12:59
You may want to be careful trying to trigger "hidden" (extra options) pages using black magic key combinations on your CDU inflight. Mess around with in on the ground at a station where engineering could reset the system if things go tits up.

captjns
21st Feb 2013, 13:39
There's a new invention out there. It's called a map. Works better than pushing buttons. It also reduces chances of carpal tunnel.:ok:

BOAC
21st Feb 2013, 14:04
captjns - I think if you had experienced the options the page gives you you would have put your map away! I have yet to see a map that gives me predicted time and fuel either direct or from g/a at destination with a single button push.:)

(If you have one, please tell me where you bought it)

Shockwave83
21st Feb 2013, 14:17
There's a new invention out there. It's called a map. Works better than pushing buttons. It also reduces chances of carpal tunnel.

Yes I am aware of those new fangled inventions referred to as 'map' aka 'charts' however as I already stated my reason for wanting to access this was for further additional information!

I really don't understand why people post ridiculously bitchy comments in response to perfectly reasonable questions!

Checkboard
21st Feb 2013, 21:05
You may want to be careful trying to trigger "hidden" (extra options) pages using black magic key combinations on your CDU inflight. Mess around with in on the ground at a station where engineering could reset the system if things go tits up.

There are those pilots who never search for knowledge, who are not really interested in flying, who are always will know less than the amount of knowledge force fed them by their company's training department.

Then there are those who search out knowledge, who look at documents and books outside their own company, who go for the "extra credit" knowledge. Pilots who become, in some areas, smarter than their colleagues (including those in the training department).

Denti
22nd Feb 2013, 05:17
Why would a map reduce carpal tunnel? They're only available on the EFB anyway for the last decade.