PDA

View Full Version : Ppl ground exams 6 sittings

Greg1984
16th Feb 2013, 17:31
I have now done 4 ground exams the first of which I did in October 2012.
Apparently there is a new regulation which means you will have to do 9 exams rather than 7 in only 6 sittings. I have done my first 4 exams in 4 sittings. Does this mean I will have to sit the remaining exams in only 2 sittings?? Is this new regulation retrospective?

Biggles Boyle
16th Feb 2013, 20:03
Hi Greg1984,

Not sure what you mean by 9 exams in 6 sittings?. You can repeat each exm 3 times if you fail. Currently you do one exam at a time I never heard you must sit multiple exams at the same time. When EASA do take over there may be more but you will almost definitely be doing remaining 2 JAA PPL exams but when you send away your application for the PPL it will be an EASA PPL but your remaining exams will be the old JAA ones not the new EASA ones I don't think EASA have even created any PPL exams yet. Also the RT practical will not change.
Hope this helps

Greg1984
16th Feb 2013, 20:14
Hi Biggles,

Thanks for replying
My first post wasn't to clear.

My instructor was showing me the new Standards Document 11 today
and in section 2.10.6 it states you are only allowed 6 sittings to pass all 7 exams. Where 1 sitting means you take 1 or more exams in the space of 1 day. I did my 4 exams in 4 sittings. i.e 1 exam in 1 sitting.

Now the way we read this new rule is that I only have 2 sittings in which to complete the rest of my exams - nav, met and technical. Which means I will have to do at least 2 exams in 1 day.

When they do introduce easa will I have to complete these exams as well? Or even resit the one's I have already taken? I'm still a few months of actually being ready for the flight test (practical)

Cheers

Biggles Boyle
16th Feb 2013, 21:25
When they do introduce easa will I have to complete these exams as well?

to the best of my knowledge no you wont if you started the JAA PPL syllabus/exams you finish it not the EASA stuff. So you should complete the remaining JAA exams.

Or even resit the one's I have already taken?

I am 100% sure you will not have to resit any exams. So in your situation I think you more or less just carry on if your were getting a JAA PPL the only thing that is different at present is the application for the PPL you will be applying for and be issued a EASA PPL.
I really hate EASA there was nothing wrong with the way thing were I am shocked they want students to do 9 exams now the 7 we did were full of irrelevant drivel and EASA wants to add more drivel :ugh:

MrAverage
17th Feb 2013, 08:38
Biggles B,

Since your first attempt at any of the seven appears to be after the 17th of September 2012 you're caught by the new rules. Although you're allowed 3 attempts at each (4 including Gatwick) they all have to be completed in six sittings.

This is quite obviously silly but that is what the Doc says. Whether the person dealing with a form that doesn't comply will notice is a gamble, but then most applications at the moment fall into that category.

P.S.

In the UK it's still only seven.

Greg1984
17th Feb 2013, 10:38
Hi Mr average,

As you say I did my first exam, air law, after this date.
Are you sure this 6 sittings rule came out back in September?
I thought it was just from th latest doc which came out in December.

Biggles Boyle
17th Feb 2013, 11:42
MrAvenger,

Thanks for the info I stand corrected I completed all my exams before the 17th of September I tried to answer greg1984 question. Glad to hear its still seven exams.

BillieBob
17th Feb 2013, 14:59
Are you sure this 6 sittings rule came out back in September?Yes, it did. Regulation 1178/2011 became EU law on 8 April 2012 and member states were given up to 2 years to implement the Annexes. The UK elected to show off and bring the Annexes into force initially on 1 July but, as they were entirely unprepared, were embarrassingly forced to delay implementation until 17 September, by which time they were only mostly unprepared. Consequently, Part-FCL, Part MED and Part-ORA have all been law in the UK since 17 Sep 2012.

Part-ARA also became law on the same date but the UK CAA seem to be ignoring anything that they find inconvenient or with which they are too incompetent to comply.